* Updating to Family Historian 7.0.19 on Mac + Parallels

Questions about Installing FH, Migrating FH to another PC, and upgrading FH
Railmaster
Family Historian: V6.2

Updating to Family Historian 7.0.19 on Mac + Parallels

Post by Railmaster »

Hi I think I may have the same problem
My FH version is currently 7.0.11.
But, I notice the latest version is 7.0.19.
Yet, when I click 'check for updates' - I get the message 'Unable to determine whether new updates are available, please try again later'.
I use a 2010 MacBook, with Parallels 12 for mac & Windows 7 professional. I full realise everything is well out of date..& I had already decided I need a new Mac, however, financially, I can't do it for another couple of months.
.. In the meantime, I don't really have any options? so I guess I'll leave well alone and keep my fingers well crossed.
As my understanding is that re installing FH 7 wouldn't work anyway, as it now requires windows 10, which would entail me upgrading parallels, which in any case wouldn't be compatible with my Mac out of date operating system.
So - The second part of my question is, looking to a future replacement, is anyone using FH with Parallels 18 on the new Apple M1 or M2 chips, to run Windows 11 ARM? As I am unsure if FH will run smoothly under windows arm?
Thank you Mark
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Updating to Family Historian 7.0.19 on Mac + Parallels

Post by tatewise »

Mark, I've started this new thread for your request as it is quite a different problem.

A similar question was resolved in the family-historian@groups.io Email forum recently.
See https://groups.io/g/family-historian/message/6728 which suggests that the latest Parallels version tries to install Windows 11 and should accept your Windows 7 licence key. Then that will run FH V7.0.19 and AS V7.0.

The author Gary <gary.gauthier@shaw.ca> is registered in this FHUG forum as Gary_G:
( memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=30874 )
Hopefully, he will be along with more detailed advice.

However, perhaps this is not the forum to ask about Mac + Parallels + Windows configurations.
If that combination runs OK then I'd expect FH and AS to run OK as they are NOT very demanding programs.
See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 1baa3c568c.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Railmaster

Post by Railmaster »

Thank you for the new thread and links Mike.
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

"tatewise";

What is the name of the new thread?
Perhaps I can help, as there is potentially more to this topic than meets the eye.
Gary Gauthier
Hunting History in the Wild!
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Gary

This is the new thread so answer here.
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Mark;
The second part of my question is, looking to a future replacement, is anyone using FH with Parallels 18 on the new Apple M1 or M2 chips, to run Windows 11 ARM? As I am unsure if FH will run smoothly under windows arm?
I run Parallels 18 and Windows 11 (ARM) on a Mac mini M1. FH7 is VERY stable and fast. I've really had no issues with that configuration. Installation was all automatic and it installs the most current windows for your machine as they now have a partnership with Microsoft. I was even able to reuse just an old upgrade key from Windows 8 to activate Windows 11. I should note that Parallels 18 is fully Apple-silicon compatible, as is the Windows 11 ARM. However; Parallels still runs fine on the INTEL chips as well.

I would advise getting your Parallels upgraded to version 18, as this is likely better than what you have and includes the ARM support that will be valuable in future. Since you have a previous license, the upgrade cost to a single-purchase version is quite inexpensive. In addition; if you go to your online account and follow the purchase process through to the checkout, then cancel, they will often send you a 25% discount code after a day or so. That can make quite a difference in the cost. If you recently bought it and paid full price, then go back and ask for the discount. They will reverse the sale and you can repurchase with the code they send.

Let me know if you need more info.
Gary Gauthier
Railmaster

Post by Railmaster »

Gary
Thank you for your reply, your suggestions are most helpful and it is very reassuring to know that there are no issues running FH under Parallels 18 / Windows 12 ARM.
I am looking at the new Mac mini M2 pro, to replace my ageing mid 2010 MacBook (Sierra 10.12.6.)
Although it is still working fine, unfortunately, as with Parallels 12 & Windows 7 pro, it is no longer upgradable.
I must say I think it is testament to the quality of Apple products that it is lasting so long. Like many others on here have long wished for, it is just such a shame that there hasn't been a FH Mac version.
You have to be pretty dedicated to run FH on a Mac and have deep pockets too, nevertheless, I would never go back to a windows machine.
Thankfully, my project is quite small (1380 individuals & 455 families) and as a computer change has been on my mind for a long time, I haven't yet ventured into media files or instigated any customisations, so, I guess it is basically a gedcom file.
I am hoping that installing onto a new machine will go smoothly, but, I know the knowledge base on FHUG and the likes of Mike Tate and yourself will help me should I need advice.
In the meantime, for now, I will leave well alone on my existing MacBook & stick with FH 7.0.11.
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

"Railmaster";
Happy to be of assistance.

Gary
Gary Gauthier
ChrisCampbell

Post by ChrisCampbell »

Hi Gary, saw your informative response here and have a quick (hopefully) question.
I have just bought and installed Parallels Desktop 19 for Mac on my M2 laptop but do I need Win 11 PRO also or would Win 11 Home work as well? (Don't have a previous copy of Windows).
Many thanks Chris
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

You should be fine with Windows "Home".
Parallels automatically downloaded and installed the ARM version as part of its installation process.
Seems that Parallels and Microsoft have come to an agreement to do so,
Gary Gauthier
ChrisCampbell

Post by ChrisCampbell »

Many thanks
Gary_G
Megastar

Post by Gary_G »

Chris;

How is the new Parallels 19 working out wrt. running Family Historian?
Have you upgraded to Sonoma O/S as well and does it "play nice" with FH7?
Gary Gauthier