* Does one use multiple sources for same event?

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Does one use muktiple sources for same event?

Post by AdrianBruce »

arthurk wrote: 17 Mar 2023 14:32...
Tertiary source = GRO certificate copied by hand or typed as a transcript of the quarterly return
So far as I can see, "tertiary source" (yes, source) is a term used in academic research https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tertiary_source, and "the great and the good" in genealogy tend not to use it. (Logical though it might be). I think it's one of several potential differences btw academic history and genealogy in sourcing - we don't even agree on the definition of primary! ;)
Adrian
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 17 Mar 2023 14:45
arthurk wrote: 17 Mar 2023 14:32 In fact a GRO certificate may even be a tertiary source:
I'd call a GRO certificate a derivative source (a copy of an original, or as you point out, possibly a copy of a copy of the original)....
As you surmised, I was using tertiary in the sense of a copy of a copy of the original, but maybe, as Adrian says, that isn't the right or best term to use. Apologies if I've confused anyone.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

arthurk wrote: 17 Mar 2023 15:48 As you surmised, I was using tertiary in the sense of a copy of a copy of the original, but maybe, as Adrian says, that isn't the right or best term to use. Apologies if I've confused anyone.
We all have different terminology, derived from different experiences/education. I doubt you or I have confused anyone, we've just illustrated the differences that exist.