* [No support] Date entry abbreviations

For Wish List Requests that have either (a) been progressed to the Wish List; or (b) been classified as duplicates, or as redundant because the requirement is already satisfied within FH and/or plugins; or (c) closed because it wasn't possible to arrive at a clear specification of the request within 15 months of it being raised.
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

[No support] Date entry abbreviations

Post by ColinMc »

A very minor (but as a result possibly simple request).

When entering two "between" dates, FH is quite restrictive on what it accepts.

• btw 1914 and 1918 is accepted

between 1914 and 1918 is accepted but is immediately displayed as btw 1914 and 1918

btwn is rejected as an "unknown date"

& is rejected as an "unknown date"
As it is one of the date formats that I personally use infrequently, I always forget which is allowed and which is not. Can the list of approved entries be increased to include both "btwn" and "&"?

How they are displayed is of no real concern to me, the current "btw 1914 and 1918" is fine, but on the basis of saving screen and paper space, I'd have no issue if it was changed to "btw 1914 & 1918".
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Date entry abbreviations

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

This hasn't had any discussion, either here or in a topic in the General forum. Does anyone have views for or against?

My own preference is for the date entry format to be precise/constrained. Otherwise, where do we draw the line? Is btwn acceptable but btn not? What about appx for approximate? Aftr for after?
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 23 Oct 2023 17:28... My own preference is for the date entry format to be precise/constrained. Otherwise, where do we draw the line? ...
I tend to agree. From the OP's viewpoint it seems a bit mean to reject a (presumably) simple and helpful request, but from Calico Pie's viewpoint they could end up with a never-ending stream of requests to provide equivalents. The vast majority(?) of the current codes are defined in the GEDCOM standard so it's not as if CP have plucked something out of the air and arbitrarily chosen that list and no others.

(I say simple but what about when FH operates in other languages? Are there equivalents there? I have zero idea how the FH UI behaves with other languages by the way...)
Adrian
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

I think the UI is fixed, with only limited switching between US/British English.

I'm also inclined to keep the range of abbreviations relatively tight, but the one that gets me frequently is insisting on say Q1 1924 but not accepting 1Q 1924, especially as "first quarter", "second quarter" etc. are common as narrative equivalents.
Mark Draper
Vyger
Famous

Post by Vyger »

I'm happy with the various options already accepted in FH.

Not mentioned by the OP but I enter BET xxxx and xxxx and it's accepted
Genealogy Reviews - research methods for a more productive future
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

It seems the simplest solution for OP (i.e less typing😀) is to use the shortest entry possible, which is 1914-1918. Just let FH insert the correct phraseology.
I too forget whether it is Bet, btwn etc. so I omit it altogether. K.I.S.S principle at work😀
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Closing for lack of support.