* Diagram Fact "Looping"

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
dbnut
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Diagram Fact "Looping"

Post by dbnut » 11 Jan 2022 21:41

A bit ignorant but don't know what else to call this.
A single event type (in practice more often than an attribute type) can have multiple occurrences (e.g. sequence of censuses).
I show these in a person's box on diagrams successfully enough, but also wanted to include some subordinate detail like source citation data (which can itself be multiple).
Mike Tate helped out some years ago when I was having problems and explained you can't loop within a loop.
OK, perfectly good sense.
So for censuses I loop through the whole set, including only the first citation, while for the birth event (I make sure not to have two) I can include as many citations as desired.

My question is whether that limitation (reasonable though it may be) has been relaxed in any way, or whether there is any prospect of that happening one day.

Thanks.
Paul White
"Family Historian is not just for Christmas, but for Life"

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Diagram Fact "Looping"

Post by tatewise » 11 Jan 2022 21:54

You are talking about the [1+] looping index for Facts in Diagram Text Schemes.
Nothing has changed to my knowledge, so the limitation is the same.
You would have to ask CP if they have plans to change that feature, but they usually play their cards close to their chest for commercial reasons.

To include multiple Source Citation details you need to combine multiple Data Refs such as:
INDI.CENS[1+].SOUR[1] , INDI.CENS[1+].SOUR[2] , INDI.CENS[1+].SOUR[3] , etc...

However, my perspective is that Diagrams are for presenting a family tree overview rather than fine details of Citations.
Reports are better are providing the complex, many to many, associations between Facts and Citations.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

dbnut
Diamond

Post by dbnut » 11 Jan 2022 22:29

Hoped you'd reply, always grateful for your help, Oracle Mike :) .
Not at all disappointed with the answer, and don't see any justification for change.
Your suggested technique is logical, though I can live quite well without it.
And agree 100% on the value of reports and their likely flexibility, I just don't have a need for them.
And "my way" with diagrams is certainly a bit quirky... I live my life in them (with Property Box in the margin.
Takes all sorts.
Paul White

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 11 Jan 2022 22:41

OK, I understand.
You are not alone in using Diagrams as the primary 'focus window'.
FH was designed to optionally be used that way even before the Focus Window was added.
I presume you know Diagrams can be used to add new-found relatives?
See the FH Help page Working Diagrams and Charts under Editing.

dbnut
Diamond

Post by dbnut » 11 Jan 2022 23:56

Had to laugh.
I thought I was the only "Diagram Man", working my way around a family visually, wouldn't be without it, one of the beautiful features of FH (with a couple of tweaks would be even more useful for me).
When the Focus Window arrived I thought "great, makes FH much more approachable for certain other users" (I was going to say habitues, but there's no "insert symbol" here).
Last hint... don't I just, thanks. And what about adding an alternative parentage. Or inserting an additional tree into the diagram and re-linking as child, or simply shifting away from the stepfather to a prior marriage, etc.? All good fun :lol: .
Paul White

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 12 Jan 2022 10:58

It is already possible to insert multiple additional trees into a Diagram using Diagram > Insert into Diagram.
That can include alternative parents, other marriages, etc.

dbnut
Diamond

Post by dbnut » 12 Jan 2022 13:02

tatewise wrote:
12 Jan 2022 10:58
It is already possible to insert multiple additional trees into a Diagram using Diagram > Insert into Diagram.
That can include alternative parents, other marriages, etc.
Just so, Mike, that's what I do. I should have rephrased the last bit "Or, with an additional tree in the diagram, re-linking as child, or simply shifting away from the stepfather to a prior marriage... .

The kind of stuff an intelligent mouse drag and pop-up menu could achieve with ease, and highly intuitively/visually. Huge time-saver and reduces errors by confused users, including me."
Paul White