* Property Box Tab Customization

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Property Box Tab Customization

Post by ColinMc » 28 Apr 2021 16:17

I've lots of Ancestors who have a mix of North American & UK census records. I've been using the Census UK Property Tab from the KB as a basis, and cutting down the number of lines per Census to give me space on the screen.

Currently, each census entry contains one of the following entries (for 1921)

INDI.CENS[year=1921].PLAC
INDI.CENS[year=1921].ADDR

I've been trying to see if I can combine these to give me a single entry with First 2 lines (commas) of Address (if exists), followed by Short Place. I've tried lots of combinations but failed so far. Is this possible.
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Property Box Tab Customization

Post by tatewise » 28 Apr 2021 17:06

No, because for some inexplicable reason FH only allows one Data Reference per Part.
The Functions and Expressions you would need are disallowed.
All the valid options are provided via the << Select data ref assistant except that you can customize [index] values.
Only two Parts horizontally side by side are allowed on one line and that accommodates your Place and Address.

INDI.CENS[year=1921].PLAC:SHORT would give you a short Place but that is the best available.

You could dedicate the UK Census tab to just UK Census events and create another tab for Other Census events.
However, there is a snag with countries such as Ireland, Canada & Australia that held many of their censuses in the same year as the UK and often on the same date too. That poses a challenge for Diagram Icons per country & census where full expressions are available. It becomes impossible to differentiate them in Property Box tabs.

Also, did you follow the discussion in Electoral Register v Census v 1939 Register (19322) that reveals that if you have an Electoral Register fact for 1921 then because it defaults to using the Census Event it may appear in that Property Box Tab as if it were a 1921 Census Event.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc » 28 Apr 2021 19:11

No, because for some inexplicable reason FH only allows one Data Reference per Part.
The Functions and Expressions you would need are disallowed.
Thanks for that information. I had a sneaking feeling that might be the case.
You could dedicate the UK Census tab to just UK Census events and create another tab for Other Census events.
However, there is a snag with countries such as Ireland, Canada & Australia that held many of their censuses in the same year as the UK and often on the same date too. That poses a challenge for Diagram Icons per country & census where full expressions are available. It becomes impossible to differentiate them in Property Box tabs
I've never used the Diagram Icons, so currently its not an issue. My main interest at the moment is that tab to get a visual idea of what needs finding (I know there are plenty of queries to do lists). So for most individuals, they will (hopefully) not have censuses in multiple countries - although I do have several Canadians with 2 census entries for the same year!
Also, did you follow the discussion in Electoral Register v Census v 1939 Register (19322) that reveals that if you have an Electoral Register fact for 1921 then because it defaults to using the Census Event it may appear in that Property Box Tab as if it were a 1921 Census Event.
Yes I was aware of that discussion (I started the topic), but the very helpful subsequent discussion was why I was looking in more detail at this tab. Using AS does create a quasi Census entry, but if you use the Register of Electors Fact then things seem to work more as expected.
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 28 Apr 2021 19:34

The point about the Diagram Icons is that they need the same differentiation as you may need in Property Box tabs.
That differentiation for Diagram Icons needs complex Expressions involving Functions as well as Data References.
BUT, the Property Box tab only allows Data References, so you will not be able to differentiate every kind of Census.
However, as you say, the tab will probably be OK for most people, but how will you know when it is giving false positives?

The problem with AS is that it does not tell users that it is using a quasi-Census event for Electoral Register events.
Thus, many events could have been captured and need converting but cannot be done with the Change Any Fact Tag plugin because it cannot differentiate genuine Census events from the quasi-Census events.
Yes, the Register of Electors custom event is a better alternative but is not a standard GEDCOM event, so the user needs to know about downloading it from Electoral Roll.
That is the kind of advisory message I was trying to persuade Nick to add to AS when Electoral Register events are first captured so the user is able to adjust the Templates to use a custom event if preferred, rather than proceed blindly.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry