* think this is an ancestral sources question

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
j9sunny
Gold
Family Historian: V7

think this is an ancestral sources question

Post by j9sunny »

After several years away from family history - and, more importantly, the software, - I'm trying to work through all the things which have changed and have found a bit of an issue.

I added a census record for a couple in 1911. If I go to either of them in FH, each says they appeared in the census in 1911 followed by a separate fact of occupation but they don't refer to each other nor to head of house, where born etc - in other words everything that was on the census.

I've now found another one - all census information included up to and except the 1911 I've just added.

I feel as if I'm doing something wrong with AS beforehand and would appreciate some assistance.

I've the latest versions of both, by the way.

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Re: think this is an ancestral sources question

Post by tatewise »

Please update your Profile to the right of your posting to say Family Historian: V7.
Click on your username, then Edit profile, enter V7 and scroll down to click Submit.

I'm not certain whether you used AS years ago, but if you did the basic concepts have not changed significantly.
When a new Census is captured and facts created they all share the same Source Citations. Does that ring any bells?

So with the 1911 Census event selected, and the yellow Sources For pane displayed, there should be a Citation listed that is coupled to a Source record, where all the details of the whole household are captured.
From that Source record, it is possible to discover all the facts (Census, Occupation, Birth) for each household member (Head, Wife, Son, Daughter, etc) that have Citations of that Source.

Is that enough of a reminder, or do you need more specific instructions?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
j9sunny
Gold

Post by j9sunny »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for reply - and I have updated version as requested!
Yes, I did use AS a few years ago when it was census only and I don't recall having any problems.
Will follow your instructions and come back to you!
Regards
Janine
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Hi Janine

As Mike says, the fundamental way that AS records the data hasn't changed even since the earlier 'Census only' version from 2004. It creates the various facts (census, occupation, birth, etc.) for each individual and then links them via a citation to a source which includes a transcript of the census record (if you've chosen to do this in AS using the source text box at the bottom of the screen) and is linked to an image of the census if you've added this in AS. Effectively it is this source and the citation links to it that 'glue' together the separate facts.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
j9sunny
Gold

Post by j9sunny »

Hi both,
I have just added a census record from 1911 via AS.. This time I clicked on the text box option in AS which brought up all the details.
I then went into FH and this time the (unformatted) info is there with the source citation so that's a win.
Is there any way I can format so it looks like a table or do I need to edit the text in AS?
And is there a way of making sure that everyone mentioned in the census entry has the full transcript in their notes? At the moment I am copying and pasting, which is a bit of a chore when there are big households.
Thanks
Janine
Rodley
Silver

Post by Rodley »

I used to format the text in AS after copying it from FMP etc. Now I just copy the text to AS to allow me to fill in the appropriate fields in AS, complete AS, and then I reopen the source text in FH7 and copy the text again from FMP. It is beautifully tabulated in FH!
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but what AutoText do you select in AS, as the "Default" Rich Text template already gives you a table that is auto populated as you add individuals?.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

j9sunny wrote: 28 Apr 2021 11:47 And is there a way of making sure that everyone mentioned in the census entry has the full transcript in their notes? At the moment I am copying and pasting, which is a bit of a chore when there are big households.
Thanks
Janine
I'm not really sure why you would want to do this? The transcript is in the source text and therefore copying that into the note for each individual multiple times seems to just be a waste of time?
I then went into FH and this time the (unformatted) info is there with the source citation so that's a win.
Is there any way I can format so it looks like a table or do I need to edit the text in AS?
There are two 'default' templates in AS - if you choose the Rich Text version then you should get a nicely formatted table.
Nick Walker

NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Rodley wrote: 28 Apr 2021 14:05 I used to format the text in AS after copying it from FMP etc. Now I just copy the text to AS to allow me to fill in the appropriate fields in AS, complete AS, and then I reopen the source text in FH7 and copy the text again from FMP. It is beautifully tabulated in FH!
Does the FMP transcript include every column of the census? The auto-text produced by AS will also be beautifully tabulated in FH if you use the rich-text template :)
Nick Walker

j9sunny
Gold

Post by j9sunny »

Thank you everyone who has taken the trouble to answer. I have tried the rich-text template and, er, yes that works.
In terms of multiple notes, I was slowly going through entries in FH and found it a bit frustrating when I looked at the Facts box and it just said 'Joe Bloggs appeared in the census' when I wanted to have a few more details. However the duplication is even more annoying - so I will start deleting!
Cheers
Janine