* Research Note Query Help

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Beerbadger
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Research Note Query Help

Post by Beerbadger » 06 Apr 2021 15:42

Hi,
I've just been trying to use the Query capability to produce something from Research Notes and failed with all but producing a list of all my Research Notes and being able to exclude some based on various criteria.
The big problem is where to look in the hierarchical list of what is available to include in the Column tab.
What I see is shown in the attached screnshot.
I understand that I click the plus icons to open up more columns that I can add to the query and I have done that but cannot find anything meaningful for the Research Notes. For example where is Research Note ' Status', so that I can produce an output of all my Open Research Notes for example.
What is the difference between 'Source' and 'Source Note' and what relevance are the File Root, File Owner and File Header in this context ?
Is there somewhere that the hierarchy that is visible on clicking the plus icon is explained ?
Thanks.
Attachments
Research Note Query.png
Research Note Query.png (5.31 KiB) Viewed 419 times

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Research Note Query Help

Post by tatewise » 06 Apr 2021 15:59

See the associated posting Research notes, to do and hash tags by Helen that shows Column settings.

See the 7th line that displays Status by using the =GetLabelledText(...) function.
That is how to handle all such labelled lines in any long text field such as Notes and Text From Source as well as Research Notes.

BUT in your Research Note case use %_RNOT.TEXT% instead of %NOTE.TEXT%

The difference between Source and Source Note is the former is a normal Source Citation and the latter is a local Note.

The others are refs to general records that are sometimes useful in every context. You will find them everywhere.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Beerbadger
Platinum

Post by Beerbadger » 06 Apr 2021 16:15

Thanks Mike, just what I needed - a way in :-)
I had begun to suspect that the Research Note was just a long text field and it didn't have fields for Status, Date and Title etc.
As a result they are not there to be selected from the hierarchical list that appears when you click the available plus buttons.

Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 » 06 Apr 2021 16:51

There is a KB article in preparation that puts all this in context and explains in more detail how to use Research Notes. I’ll post the link when it’s published.
Mark Draper

Beerbadger
Platinum

Post by Beerbadger » 07 Apr 2021 11:49

Thanks Mark.

Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 » 08 Apr 2021 17:03