* How to apply a different template on a source citation

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Simonides
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

How to apply a different template on a source citation

Post by Simonides »

I've created a citation using the "Advanced | Church Records | Image Copies | Digitized Online" template but the footnote generated from this template isn't quite as I want it. Is it possible to change it to use a different template eg. "Advanced | Church Records | Derivatives | Church Records Database, Online"?

Or would I need to delete the source and recreate it from scratch?

Thanks!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: How to apply a different template on a source citation

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

There's a plugin in draft to do this. See https://fhug.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19176 but make sure you backup first. And remember to feedback to the author.
Simonides
Diamond

Post by Simonides »

thanks Helen, but is that the right link? The discussion there is about importing RootsMagic todo lists, and unless I'm missing something, not related to moving a citation from one template to another?
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Sorry. Search for Change Source Template in the plugin discussion forum.
Peter Collier
Famous

Post by Peter Collier »

I had a similar issue. I found I was able to just delete the template field from the source record, then right click on the source record, select "Add Template" and then choose a different template.
Peter Collier

Collier, Savory, Buckerfield, Edmonds, Low, Dungey, Lester, Chambers, Walshe, Moylan, Bradley, Connors, Udale, Wilson, Benfield, Downey
Simonides
Diamond

Post by Simonides »

Helen, thanks - I see it.

Peter, could you kindly clarify what you mean by "delete the template field from the source record" Is this from the Sources tab? Currently, "Add template" is greyed out and not selectable?
Peter Collier
Famous

Post by Peter Collier »

Simonides,
On the sources tab, under the records view, I located the source record for which I wanted to change the template. I selected the "Template" field (the bit highlighted grey in the screenshot below) then hit the delete key:
Screenshot 2021-04-02 000137.png
Screenshot 2021-04-02 000137.png (36.58 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
After that, I selected the record name immediately above where the template field had been (in the screenshot above that's the bit next to the yellow scroll icon that says "Bap. Rec., KINGS, Cesar, 1672") I right clicked and then selected "Add Template". This had been greyed out and unselectable before, but once the original template field was deleted, it became available for selection. I then selected the alternative, correct template from the pop-up window that appeared.

A small caveat: The erroneous template I removed and the correct template I replaced it with had the same fields (Type, Region, Parish, etc.). I haven't tried this where the old and new template fields differ, so "your mileage may vary", as the saying goes.
Peter Collier

Collier, Savory, Buckerfield, Edmonds, Low, Dungey, Lester, Chambers, Walshe, Moylan, Bradley, Connors, Udale, Wilson, Benfield, Downey
Simonides
Diamond

Post by Simonides »

Peter, thanks for the clear explanation. I did a quick test and it seems to do what's needed, leaving "Text from Source", "Notes" and "Media" information intact.