* Result Set too wide to read

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
rob p
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Result Set too wide to read

Post by rob p » 19 Feb 2021 02:04

When I do a “Citations to Source Record”, the Result Set is way too wide to read. Scrolling over and changing column widths works to a point, but it takes several scroll/adjust width/scroll, etc. to get to the far-right column (footnote text). And sometimes this column reaches some sort of limit and can’t be expanded any further. I’ve looked in Help for customization tips, and tried all of the usual “spreadsheet tricks”, but can’t get to this far-right information.
I figured out how to do a custom query for this, but I have to leave out some of the information the Standard Query gives.
(I’m a “source lumper” and this is how I find similar/same citations when an edit is required.)
Any help?
- rob
result set too wide.JPG
result set too wide.JPG (150.77 KiB) Viewed 987 times

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Result Set too wide to read

Post by tatewise » 19 Feb 2021 11:06

See the FHUG Knowledge Base Finding Records Linked to a Source that offers several other solutions including a Facts Query (which won't find <whole record> Citations) and two Plugins that will.

Are you using 'generic' Citation fields (Where within Source, Text From Source, etc.) or have you started using templated citation-specific metafields? If the latter then those Plugins & Query may not display what you need.

I suspect part of the problem with the Citations to Source Record... Result Set is it works better for Method 1 than Method 2.
i.e. The Footnote is wide as it includes too much from the Source record rather than the Citation which is what you need.
It does not show any of the actual Citation fields at all, which are what you need.

What you are experiencing is one of the significant drawbacks of Method 2 'lumper' Source Citations.
It is why we recommend Method 1 'splitter' Source Citations wherever multiple Citations are involved that have copies of the same information.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 » 19 Feb 2021 13:00

What Rob seems to be coming up against here is two different limitations of FH. Firstly, the Records Window is limited to single line display and can't word wrap for wide columns, and secondly, FH is significantly poorer at handling "lumped" sources than its major competitors. Hence the usual recommendation to split sources for anything other than relatively simple examples - it is not a fundamentally "better" method, it just fits the FH design better.

Ultimately, we all probably have to work within the constraints of the software (I suspect no package would cope well with source titles a thousand characters long), but are there any options to tweak the standard queries or plugins to display short titles or some other abbreviated form of the content to keep it within the limits of what FH can display?
Mark Draper

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 19 Feb 2021 13:18

Mark, it is actually the Result Set display that is under discussion, although the Records Window has the same problem.
As Rob mentioned, wide Columns can be narrowed to make right-hand Columns more accessible, but it takes time.

Queries remember those adjusted Column widths but Plugins and FH Commands that use a Result Set usually do not.

The Records Window does remember its Column widths.

In this specific case, it is that the Citations to Source Record... Result Set does NOT show any Citation fields.
Therefore it is not so useful at differentiating Citations of 'lumped' Sources.
It is only if Citation fields are included in the Footnote Format can they be differentiated and that Footnote can be very long.
Perhaps the lack of Citation fields should be reported to CP.

IMO, FH is not poorer at supporting 'lumped' Sources, but just different. Most other products do not follow the GEDCOM model and do not differentiate between 'splitter' and 'lumped' sources. They only offer one model, usually with a 'lumped' Source and one Citation per document, which can be linked to one or more facts. In practice that is not significantly different from a 'splitter' model. The bulk of the information is in one Citation instead of in one Source.

Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 » 19 Feb 2021 13:53

As they share so many characteristics (and limitations) I was assuming they are based on the same core plumbing. It’s always possible to export the display as a CSV file and view in your preferred spreadsheet, but that’s hardly convenient.
Mark Draper

rob p
Gold

Post by rob p » 19 Feb 2021 18:41

Thank you for the help & comments!
The List All Citations for a Selected Source plugin is perfectly useful for my issue. (Thanks to Jane!)
I should have dug around in the Plugin Store more before crying for help.

Mike said, “Perhaps the lack of Citation fields [in Citations to Source Record] should be reported to CP.
- I’m new to this; exactly how would this be done? It would improve that Standard Query.

And I don’t want to re-ignite a splitter/lumper squabble. Neither is “better”; you say “colour”, I say “color”. The depth of flexibility in FH continues to impress me.
- rob

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 19 Feb 2021 20:54

Rob, you report problems to CP via their support ticket system at http://www.calico-pie.com/osticket/open.php.

Make it clear your sources use a Method 2 'lumper' strategy which is not well supported by Citations to Source Record... and compare it to the List All Citations for a Selected Source plugin.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 20 Feb 2021 15:51

I have found time to update the Where Use Record Links plugin which should help Rob and others...

It now lists up to three Citation Metafields when reporting where Source records are used.
I thought they were more useful than the Citation (Footnote Text) display.

The rightmost Result Set columns now adjust to the width of the text displayed.
So it should be much easier to scroll to view all the fields of interest.

Try attached Where Use Record Links plugin Version 1.5.1 Date 20 Feb 2021 that should still work in FH V6.
e.g.
In the Records Window on the Sources tab select the records whose Citations need to be reviewed.

[ Attachment now deleted. ]

rob p
Gold

Post by rob p » 20 Feb 2021 17:26

Excellent, Mike! Thank you!
- rob

BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH » 20 Feb 2021 18:00

I'm having a senior moment.

The Citation Note field in my case is showing the first part of the text, but in order to see more text I have to grab the right side column divider and drag to to the right, but I can only drag it as far as the edge of the screen. Then I have to drag the scroll bar to the right and do the same again... and repeat till all the text is visible. That seems like it is the same as before.

image1.jpg
image1.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 738 times

What is the change that you made? How do "columns now adjust to the width of the text displayed."?

By the way, thanks for the new columns. These are more helpful than the footnote column.

Thanks,
Bill

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 20 Feb 2021 18:50

The improvement is that the Citation Note text is more likely on screen.
Previously, the columns to the left would have been so wide that it would have been way off to the right.
Even if can widen the column you will often not see all the text anyway, especially if FH V7.
Right-click the cell and choose to view in Property Box or All tab and that shows all the Note text.

I am considering narrowing all the columns on the left to get even more on screen.

I could also look at making the rightmost column much wider.

BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH » 20 Feb 2021 18:54

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Bill

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 21 Feb 2021 16:06

I have further developed the Result Set display of the Where Use Record Links plugin.

Most columns now auto-adjust their width similar to a spreadsheet AutoFit Column Width function.
It uses the length of the next to longest text shown in the column to adjust the width.
The strategy is to exclude the longest text as an 'outlier' and use the longest of the rest.
Each column still has a minimum and maximum width but usually the Result Set will be narrower than before.

The rightmost column is allowed to be exceptionally wide to avoid the problems of manually widening it.
Click the right-hand end of the horizontal scroll bar to quickly scroll the Result Set display.

Multi-line long text fields such as Notes and Text From Source now display their text in full.
Newlines are shown as ¶ pilcrows similar to word-processors.
Rich text fields are reduced to plain text.

So please try attached Where Use Record Links plugin Version 1.5.2 Date 21 Feb 2021.
[ EDIT Attachment deleted as V1.6 is now in Plugin Store. ]

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 24 Feb 2021 14:37

I have tweaked the Plugin some more, corrected some column width miscalculations, added extra columns such as Record Notes and Templated Source Metafields for certain types of record links, and fixed a few minor bugs due to changes in FH V7.

So please try the attached Where Use Record Links plugin Version 1.5.3 Date 24 Feb 2021.
[ EDIT Attachment deleted as V1.6 is now in Plugin Store. ]

Check links to every type of record by selecting them in the Records Window on each tab in turn.

BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH » 24 Feb 2021 16:55

Mike,

I ran some quick tests and things look fine in 6.2.7.

Bill

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 24 Feb 2021 19:28

Thank you Bill, especially as that is on FH V6.

Could the others who have downloaded the prototype Plugin please test it too!

RS3100
Diamond

Post by RS3100 » 24 Feb 2021 21:01

I've only run it once against each record set, but it looks good so far (on FH7)

rob p
Gold

Post by rob p » 24 Feb 2021 21:55

1.5.3 on 7.0.2.0
Tried all record types in the Records Window & multiple records each.
All is well!