* drag and drop

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Devonjon
Gold
Family Historian: V7

drag and drop

Post by Devonjon »

Hi
I wanted to confirm my assumption that you cannot drag n drop (or cut n paste) directly from a web search window viewing FMP into FH7.

Sorry I couldn't find anything saying you can't but lots of positive about doing those actions if not specifically from FMP. Just wanting a quicker workflow and stay within the FH7 environment.

Cheers
DJ
tatewise
Megastar

Re: drag and drop

Post by tatewise »

See the FHUG Knowledge Base on Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop.

That is for FH V6 but I don't think it has significantly changed for FH V7 so should work as described.

BTW: Your profile needs updating to say Family Historian: V7
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Devonjon
Gold

Post by Devonjon »

Thanks. Yes. One of the pages I skimmed. Doesn't help or at least doesn't work when am viewing a FMP image. No ability to copy nor drag. Hence assumption its not possible - for copyright or other reasons?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

With FMP in Firefox it works better if you right-click and View Image.
Then both D&D and C&P are enabled. (Right-click Copy image).

With D&D in FH V7 a Media tab border turns blue but the drop does nothing, so maybe a bug has crept in?

With C&P in FH V7 a Media tab Add Media option has Paste copied image which works OK.
Devonjon
Gold

Post by Devonjon »

Thanks Mike - still no joy.

I'm in the FH web search window. Images of baptism, census etc - right click offers no view or copy image option. I do have a FMP sub. There is the FMP download link at bottom which works but then that drops image onto PC needing me to find, rename and drop into right spot. Rather than a hoped for simplicity of C&P or D&D.

The FH web search window seems to default to IE. As initially the FMP page pops up saying IE is going out of support. My PC actually has Edge and that is the default system browser on PC which I use all time but FH7 doesn't seem to have a means of telling it to use Edge. I wonder if thats the issue - the 'old' IE.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can use Internet > Internet Data Matches and set Location to Display Matches to External Web Browser and that will use Edge external to FH.

Programs like FH have had no alternative but to use IE for internal windows as dictated by Microsoft.
In the last few months, an alternative has been offered by Microsoft, but too late for FH V7.0 to incorporate.
Devonjon
Gold

Post by Devonjon »

Interesting. One reboot later and I've just rid myself of Internet Explorer 11. And good riddance. Its a on/off item hidden under control panel>program and features>turn windows features on or off.

Edge still merrily present and identified as default.

FH7 booted up and opened a web search window at FMP immediately no fuss and no nag screen about IE going out of support. Hurrah. Right click and view properties confirms the page is via Edge Browser.

All good.

Right click the new Edge page....showing a media item.....but still no view image or copy image options. Howl.

However, flash of inspiration....did a print screen (captures everything obviously) does permit me to paste copied image via media tab, location, name and associate all nice n slick. Looked unsightly obviously but a quick trim in the media tab edit player down to actual image and well that worked... ! Bit of a cavemen work around.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Contrary to what you think you have not banished IE. That option just hides the user interface.
IE is crucially fundamental to Windows and runs Desktop and Windows File Explorer. You cannot get rid of it completely.
If you could then the FH internal Web Search Window would not work at all, but you'll find it still does work.

Edge is based on Chrome and that does not seem to offer right-click View Image but does have Copy Image and then you can use the Add Media > Paste copied image option.

Alternatively, install and use the Firefox browser.
Gardengirl
Famous

Post by Gardengirl »

Devonjon, I didn't realise that this was possible either so I have been laboriously saving to computer then importing to FH too. You commented about doing a screenshot then cropping it but I have just experimented and if you use the Snipping Tool on Windows, you can select exactly the area that you want then copy and paste it straight into FH add media box.

So thanks to your original question I have learnt something new today - and it's only 10.30 in the morning :D
Garden girl by day
Family History woman by night
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think that when using screenshot capture tools, the resolution of the resulting image is only as good as the monitor.
Whereas, if using D&D or C&P or download image, and crop in an image editor, the original image resolution is retained.
If you have a high-resolution monitor or the image is of poor quality, it may not matter much, but to decipher old hand-written documents or zoom into head & shoulder frames of a large group photo, then you want the highest resolution available.

If I'm wrong about such resolution scenarios then I'm sure somebody will correct me.
Gardengirl
Famous

Post by Gardengirl »

I think you are right about image quality. I only use the snip tool for less important images such as a baptism document which includes no extra information. For bigger documents with more crucial detail such as a will, I would definitely download the whole image.
Garden girl by day
Family History woman by night
Devonjon
Gold

Post by Devonjon »

Cor Blimey - i have a snipping tool on my PC and I never knew. Works a treat as my Edge certainly has no view or copy image options and I don't wish to change my default browser or reboot to make that change to Chrome for FH7 purposes only. Anyhows that snip works for me and far better than print screen so thanks for that. Image quality appears spot on too.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In recent versions of Windows 10, the Snipping Tool has been superseded by the Snip & Sketch tool that has some neat new features and can be customised to use the PrtScn button.