* Import Standalone GEDCOM to Project

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
G P Ford
Family Historian: V7

Import Standalone GEDCOM to Project

Post by G P Ford »

Hi
I have recently upgraded to version 7 from 6.2. On entering FH as usual from the documents window in Windows 10 a box flashed up to say I had a standalone GEDCOM file with limited functionality suggesting the file is imported into a new FHProject. Having clicked OK the normal page appeared but titled Standalone GEDCOM file (LIMITED FUNCTIONALITY) - Focus Window - the first time I'd seen this caption. There was already an unused project (apart from my name as the root person) listed in the Project Window so I followed the instructions to import the standalone file as a GEDCOM with media attachments and it worked (there were a few broken media links but I could work with that).

In accessing the program via the desktop icon the opening screen was correctly titled and the Find My Past numbering appeared as expected. The problem is if I try to back up the file it will only do so as a Standalone GEDCOM file and in the process all the media links disappear. I had thought that in importing the file from Standalone to a project the Standalone file itself would cease to exist but it's still listed on the documents page with the back up. I had given thought to deleting both Standalone & back up files but the prospect of losing the media links was too much of a risk, even though in principle it could be restored from the Recycle Box.

Incidentally, I have other Standalone files of different family branches which is fine for now as most were sent as information by relatives so there's no intention to include them as projects.

My dilemma is can anyone tell me how to rid of the problem Standalone file?

Regards

Graham
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Import Standalone GEDCOM to Project

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Graham.

When you import a GEDCOM file to create a New Project, the stand-alone GEDCOM file is NOT deleted.
So if you persist in opening that file it is NOT a Project, and cannot be backed up with Media.
BTW: FH rarely deletes anything unless you tell it to.

The new Project you created should be listed in the File > Project Window where it can be right-clicked and Set as Default Project and then you can use Open Project. In future when FH is opened it should automatically open that Project and you will be able to back-up the entire Project including Media.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
G P Ford

Post by G P Ford »

Hello Mike

Thanks very much for your helpful reply.

I carried out your instructions and yes when I opened FH from the desktop icon, the project automatically came up with media intact. However, on backing up to a memory stick it once again did so as a standalone file and all media links were lost. I just cannot back up the project as a project and with media intact.

Incidentally, opening the standalone file on my documents page continues to show media links and does so when backed up. Frustratingly this all seems to work fine as it did prior to the upgrade to v7.

Would deleting the standalone file & back up make a difference?

Regards

Graham
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Where are your media files located? Are they in the Media folder of the Project? If so, you should copy the entire project folder onto the USB when backing up. That is the purpose of the project structure. It is designed to make it easy to copy or move all your relevant data.

If your media files are elsewhere on your PC it is much harder to make a full backup of everything.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Graham, I'm not convinced you are following my instructions.

After opening FH whatever way you like, what does it say on the very top bar of the main FH window?
After the name of your data, it may be either - Family Historian Project - or - Family Historian Gedcom -

If it is the latter then it is still opening your standalone GEDCOM file and NOT your Project.
So, use the File > Project Window... command as I requested. Is your imported Project listed there?
If so then right-click it and Set As Default Project then click the Open Project button below.

Now the top bar of the main FH window will say - Family Historian Project -
Please now use the Tools > External File Links... command.
Every file in the File Links list should be in Program Data Folder - Media or a subfolder with no mention of C: drive?

Now File > Backup/Restore should offer Small/Medium/Full Backup options but only Medium & Full will include media.
G P Ford

Post by G P Ford »

Actually Mike - it does already say Family Historian Project.
In the external file links box if I click on C: it goes to + and the project data folder appears and below that media with all the photo files listed in alphabetical order. I then did a medium back up to a USB.

In checking the back up I accessed the Family Historian Project and a box appears with the legend "unable to open file C:\Users\graha\Appdata\Local\Temp\Temp2_FH projectback Up(min)-ford FH-2021-02-24 1150_zip\ford FH\ford FH.fh_data\Ford FH ged.File not found. On clicking OK it takes you to the Project Window and if the open project box is selected the hard drive version appears with media files. So I'm stuck trying to get a reliable back up with or without media links.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

How are you 'checking the backup'?
It does not help us if you don't explain exactly what you are doing ~ what commands you are using, etc...

It sounds like you are trying to open the Backup ZIP file 'Project' directly within FH.
That won't work. The file paths inside the ZIP file cannot be found by FH.

To 'check the backup' you must use the File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup... command as explained in the FHUG Knowledge Base article Backup and Recovery.

There is nothing new in FH V7 regarding backups. They are exactly the same as in FH V6 and FH V5.

However, you say that in Tools > External File Links the File Links are listed on the C: drive.
That means they are probably NOT in the Project internal Media folder and may NOT be included in Project backups.

If they really do eventually lead down to the Project internal Media folder then they adjusting so they start with Project Data Folder - Media. So try the Auto Repair Links... button to see if that corrects those File Links.
G P Ford

Post by G P Ford »

I did back up using the File> Backup/Restore route (medium) and thought I could access the project within the zipped file but after reading the FHUG guide link found that's not possible (I'm not particularly computer literate as you can guess). However by using the Extract All option and selecting a separate destination folder it unpacked all the files and I was able to see exactly what I wanted including the media links intact.

My concern with back up's has always been to ensure what you expect to be saved elsewhere is saved and not to live in a fools paradise merely trusting that it is. Perhaps a bit over cautious but I like to see it for myself from time to time to eliminate any risk of loss should all else fail.

Thanks Mike for your help in sorting this out.

Graham
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Graham, you are still not seeing what I am writing.
Use the File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup... command to restore Backup ZIP files.
That is the complementary process to the create Backup process.

You are correct to check that backups have worked and can be restored, but please use the appropriate commands.
However, the tests you have used do NOT prove that all Media were included in the Medium Project Backup.

Also, you need to correct that use of C: drive in the Tools > External File Links listing.
It is possible that some Media files are not included in your Backup until you fix that as I explained.
The C: drive should not be listed if you expect all your Media files to be held within the Project.
Only Project Data Folder should be listed at the top.