* FH7 report paragraph fix - new version v7.0.1.1

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
dewilkinson
Famous
Family Historian: V7

FH7 report paragraph fix - new version v7.0.1.1

Post by dewilkinson » 10 Jan 2021 08:31

Yesterday evening I had an email from Calico Pie telling me that the paragraph problem has been fixed with a link to a new version 7.0.1.1. I down loaded this installer, ran it and it hung on the screen Creating Directories. After an hour I aborted it using Task Manager as no progress was being shown and it indicated not responding. After this FH7 would no longer work. I tried this new installer a few times, all with the same result. I thought I would reinstall FH7 with my original file, but that too failed at the same point. I rebooted, uninstalled FH7 and tried again with the same result. It seems I can longer get FH7 installed on my main laptop. I have replied to Calico Pie but await a response.

Fortunately I have second laptop with FH7 which on so I have not lost anything. I'm not going to try this 'fix' on that as well just in case.

Any ideas why the original installer will no longer work as well would be appreciated.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them

dewilkinson
Famous

Re: FH7 report paragraph fix - new version v7.0.1.1

Post by dewilkinson » 10 Jan 2021 08:52

Update - I have got FH7 back, I had to leave the installer running for a couple of hours. I will try the fix again now and just leave it running.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them

davepacey
Famous

Post by davepacey » 10 Jan 2021 09:40

I also received an email saying that the issue I reported had been fixed. I downloaded the update and ran it on my main and my laptop, in both cases, I was forced into a reboot without warning, luckily, the blue screen was brought up, and I had the option to force close and reboot anyway , or return to Windows, I chose to return to Windows, where I was faced with the do you want to reboot now or later message box from FH. I chose later and the install was completed. Initially, I thought it was because my main desktop computer was awaiting a reboot to install downloaded updates, but when the same thing happened on my Laptop, I assume it is a bug in the FH 7011 installation file. I did reply to my email pointing out the issue.

The issue that I reported (inability to insert a data reference when adding a column on Research Notes window) has been fixed and works perfectly now.

Sadly, the reports issues I have, do not :-(
Dave Pacey - Lincolnshire UK

dewilkinson
Famous

Post by dewilkinson » 10 Jan 2021 10:34

I left v7.0.1.1. installer running and after 48 minutes including a reboot it completed and I am pleased to say that the paragraph markers seem to be being recognised now. See below. I then saved the report as a pdf but that still saved as a bloated image, ~10mB for a couple of pages. Good progress and a quick response from Calico Pie, may be they will work on the bloated images soon. I have reported this back to Calico Pie
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (151.83 KiB) Viewed 940 times

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 10 Jan 2021 11:42

I too received the email from CP and the link to 7.0.1.1. In view of the previous comments about installation problems I think I'll wait a while for further feedback before trying to install.

In my case the email told me that two of the bugs I have reported have been fixed:

Diagram text scheme not correctly saved in V7 (18321)
FH asking to save Gedcom changes when there have been none. (18360)
Lorna

davepacey
Famous

Post by davepacey » 10 Jan 2021 11:51

LornaCraig wrote:
10 Jan 2021 11:42
I too received the email from CP and the link to 7.0.1.1. In view of the previous comments about installation problems I think I'll wait a while for further feedback before trying to install.

In my case the email told me that two of the bugs I have reported have been fixed:

Diagram text scheme not correctly saved in V7 (18321)
FH asking to save Gedcom changes when there have been none. (18360)
FH7 no longer asks you to save when exiting the program, after opening and viewing a note in the note window if no changes have been made.
Dave Pacey - Lincolnshire UK

AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by AdrianBruce » 10 Jan 2021 17:08

David W - thanks for the update.
Adrian

dewilkinson
Famous

Post by dewilkinson » 12 Jan 2021 19:29

I have had some correspondence with Calico Pie and I downloaded the upgrade 7.0.1.1 on my backup laptop and ran it again this evening. It went perfectly completing in seconds followed by a reboot. As far as I can see it OK to use. I have noticed a few other improvements like when you enter/edit additional names the entry box is larger and clearer to use (for us with less good eyesight).

bloodbrotheruk
Gold

Post by bloodbrotheruk » 12 Jan 2021 23:47

dewilkinson wrote:
10 Jan 2021 08:31
Yesterday evening I had an email from Calico Pie....
.... with a link to a new version 7.0.1.1.
oddly the installer if you now download from the website is 7.0.1.1, but if you have 7.0.0 installed, selecting "check for updates" suggests that 7.0.0 is the latest version.
I wonder if the 7.0.1.1 is not yet intended for general release, especially in light of the issues you're having with it?

dewilkinson
Famous

Post by dewilkinson » 13 Jan 2021 08:43

I have told Calico Pie that the update 7.0.1.1 went perfectly yesterday but I cannot comment how Calico Pie choose to roll it out

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 13 Jan 2021 15:15

I have now installed the update on my laptop. The process took about 15 minutes, including a reboot, so definitely much slower that 7.0.0. I have not yet tried the desk top. Two of the bugs I had reported (see my previous post in this thread) have been fixed.
Lorna

JohnnyCee
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by JohnnyCee » 20 Jan 2021 11:23

davepacey wrote:
10 Jan 2021 09:40
I was forced into a reboot without warning, luckily, the blue screen was brought up, and I had the option to force close and reboot anyway , or return to Windows, I chose to return to Windows, where I was faced with the do you want to reboot now or later message box from FH.
That reboot behavior also happened to me. I started the FH7 trial installer with only FH6 present on my Win10 PC, no FH7. I don’t recall any recent examples where an installer forced other running programs to close and triggered a reboot in quite as unsettling a way.

David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter » 20 Jan 2021 18:27

Hi All
Well no email must mean my bug request has not been addressed. No matter. Are there any release notes with this update?

Thank you.