* Generic Source Types? Census Icons?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Rusty
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Generic Source Types? Census Icons?

Post by Rusty » 08 Jan 2021 20:30

Until now I have entered Census details for each member of the family separately which using the expression %INDI.CENS[year=1851]% has given me the census icons for each year hanging from the boxes in my diagram, however, I have just changed to using 'Family Census' and adding the children in as 'Witnesses' changing the 'Role' to Son, Daughter etc. this means that I have now lost all my little census year icons, is there any way that I can get the icons back as I found them useful.

To get the icons for my BMD's I have a Generic Source which gives me those icons, but I can't see how to add a Generic Census Source, I am a 'Lumper' having just one source for each census year and I don't use AS.

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Generic Source Types? Census Icons?

Post by tatewise » 08 Jan 2021 21:50

It is not generally recommended to use Census (family) facts as explained in Recording from a Census Record.

But if you insist, instead of %INDI.CENS[year=1851]% you will need %CUR~FAMS.CENS[year=1851]%
That will work for the two parents, but the child witnesses get much more complex.
You will need a Condition for as many Child Witnesses might exist.
=IsSameItem( %INDI%, %CUR~FAMC.CENS[year=1851]._SHAR[1]>% )
=IsSameItem( %INDI%, %CUR~FAMC.CENS[year=1851]._SHAR[2]>% )
=IsSameItem( %INDI%, %CUR~FAMC.CENS[year=1851]._SHAR[3]>% )
=IsSameItem( %INDI%, %CUR~FAMC.CENS[year=1851]._SHAR[4]>% )
That will work for up to 4 children but needs more if more children.

I don't understand your last paragraph.
Generic Sources have nothing to do with icons as you are only testing the CENSus facts.
You add the Source Citation to the Census (family) facts and the Child Fact Witnesses much as you did before.

What do you see as the advantage of this different approach? i.e. Why are you changing?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Rusty
Famous

Post by Rusty » 09 Jan 2021 09:03

Good morning Mike,

Thank you for your reply and explaining things so clearly, it does look very complicated. I've tried just using the ordinary Census fact and then adding the wife and children in as 'Witnesses' changing the Role to wife/son/daughter etc. I now get my little census icon on just the head of the family not on the others, is there any way that I can get the icon on the rest of the family? I like keeping the family together as it were rather than have separate entries for them all.

About my last paragraph, when I have a BMD certificate I like to have the BMD icons on the diagram (I only do this when I have a certificate), if I don't put Birth/Death/Marriage against the source in 'Generic Type' I don't get the icon.

Thanks for all your patience.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 09 Jan 2021 11:55

The snag with Fact Witnesses is it is not easy to define the data reference of the Head of Household for the Individual Census, or the Parents for the Family Census case, relative to each linked Household member.
It is not too bad for Spouse or Children but what about aunts, uncles, grandchildren, cousins, etc?
So, in general, it is not feasible to have Census Icons for every household member using Fact Witness links.

If you had used Method 1 'splitter' Sources for Census then it is easy to find the Household members from the Source record that is uniquely linked to each member and you would not need to use Fact Witnesses.
With Method 2 'lumper' Sources it can be done but needs a Query and relies on the Citation Where Within Source field holding the same reference for each Household member.

You did not mention wanting Fact Witnesses to appear in Reports, so that suggests a compromise solution.
Keep the Individual Census event and Source Citation for every Household member to get Diagram Census Icons.
Use Fact Witnesses to navigate between Household members.
Report settings and Witness Sentence Templates may need adjusting to avoid double reporting.

Now moving on to BMD Certificate Icons, it would have helped if you had posted the Box Condition Expressions.
Presumably they are something like =ContainsText( %INDI.BIRT.SOUR>_TYPE%, "Birth" )
So that is testing the Generic Type field. What were you hoping to achieve?

Rusty
Famous

Post by Rusty » 09 Jan 2021 16:01

Hi Mike, Thank you for all your time, really what I was hoping to achieve with census details is to have little icons on my diagrams so that I can see at a glance what census years are missing, I can do that when I put everyone in separately but I would rather be able to keep the family members together with their relationship to the first mentioned person. My research is entirely for my own interest so I just want something easy to do I don't want to have to type in the whole census information into the citation field, I'm happy with just the bare bones as long as they all connect up, I used to keep a spreadsheet with all this information on and it was easy to see what was missing, perhaps that would be easier for me to do and do away with the icons altogether and keep a record that way.

The expressions that I use for BMD's are-: %INDI.BIRT.SOUR>_TYPE%
=IsTrue(%CUR~FAMS>MARR.SOUR>_TYPE% = "Marriage")
=IsTrue(%INDI.DEAT.SOUR>_TYPE% = "Death")

They are only used when I have an actual certificate, I've no idea why Birth and Death are different but they seem to work for me and I get Janes BMD icons hanging from the appropriate box on my diagrams, but of course everyone does have their own BMD certificate source.

Thank you for all your help.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 09 Jan 2021 16:35

I think the compromise solution I suggested will work.

1) Add the Fact Witnesses to the Individual Census event of the Head of the household to offer the member relationships.

2) Also, add Individual Census events for every household member and cite the lumped Census Source record as you have always done, which will produce your Diagram Icons. Even if you wanted to use some other method of identifying missing Census entries this is the only logical way to achieve that. External manual spreadsheets are tedious and unreliable. FH is far better at producing those lists.

Your Birth Icon Condition should be =IsTrue(%INDI.BIRT.SOUR>_TYPE% = "Birth") like the others.
Otherwise, it will add a Birth Icon regardless of what type of Citation is added to the Birth event.

So what is the problem with setting the Generic Source type to Birth, Marriage, or Death?

Rusty
Famous

Post by Rusty » 09 Jan 2021 17:28

Hi Mike, Thank you very much for all your help, I'll do as you suggested. I don't have any problems with my BMD icons, I'm probably doing it all wrong, but they work fine for me.

Many thanks for all your hard work, particularly for a numpty like me.