* Adding Citation information to Templated Sources

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
joe81au
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Adding Citation information to Templated Sources

Post by joe81au » 08 Jan 2021 20:24

Caveat: I have been doing genealogy for 30 years but I've been using Family Historian for 30 days. I don't have the experience most of you have with open file formats and the ability to run some code. The last thing I programmed was in Fortran!

There have been a couple of recent post regarding the use of Source Template and how the software forces you down the splitting path. I started one of those threads since I could not understand why Generic Sources Citation used the field Where in Source and the Templated Source citations did not. But determined that I am. I put in a ticket to CP support desk and after several exchanges, I have a method that I think most "Lumpers" - I had never heard that term until I joined this site- like me can use such that the footnotes from either citation type are now consistent.

At any rate, I hope this is helpful to some.

Step 1 is to turn on the Where in Source field in the Template Citation Property Box as shown here.
Screenshot (22).png
Screenshot (22).png (110.56 KiB) Viewed 315 times
CP support just could not get their heads around why I "wanted to turn on a GENERIC field for a Templated Source", but the Pages entry in the templated source property box is for the source not the citation. A proper footnote, in my view and the way I Read Mills book, include a page number (when the source is large). The help files say they gave us the ability to do so:

"You can add data references or functions to source template formats. Doing so allows you to reference any field associated directly or indirectly with the current context. "

And they did but they did not set these up to be readily available.

Step 2 is to manually edit the Source Template that have been imported into your project. (Note you are not editing the read only templates supplied). By going to the Source Records listing and opening the Source Record Property Box, All tab and expanding the Template information by checking the square box, as shown here
Screenshot (21).png
Screenshot (21).png (107.91 KiB) Viewed 315 times
You will see the Footnote and Short Footnote scripts.

Step 3 is to add
", {%CUR~CITN.PAGE%}" before the period at the end of the Footnote and Short Footnote scripts. This adds a comma and the the contents of the citation field to the footnote. Depending on the template you are editing, you may need different placement or punctuation.

The resulting foot note is shown here, now with the page citation included. Any reports also pick up the differences in the footnotes, so instead of a single foot note for a Templated Source citation as CP defaults to out of the box, you get multiple footnotes for each unique Where in Source used.
Screenshot (19).png
Screenshot (19).png (157.21 KiB) Viewed 315 times
You will notice that editing the citations using the property box, All tab does change the installed citations. In the example above all sources using the Online Publication Template, now has the new field added. You will need to make similar edits to the other templates you use but not every source, since the you are editing the template.

Again, hope this helps others, get closer to their expectations, I'm sure it is not what everyone wants.
Joe Carter
Aiken, South Carolina, USA

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Adding Citation information to Templated Sources

Post by tatewise » 08 Jan 2021 21:22

That technique opens up a whole new world of exploration.
Any fields within a Generic Source Citation can be built into a Source Template with several advantages.

It means that providing your Generic Source Citations follow a regular pattern then without conversion they can be:
  • Inherited from existing FH V6 Projects
  • Imported from other products
  • Exported to other products
e.g.
In any Source Templates the following replacements work:
  • {Title:TITLE} => {%SOUR.ABBR%:TITLE}
  • {Author} => {%SOUR.AUTH%}
  • {Repository} => {%SOUR.REPO%}
  • {Date} => {=GetLabelledText(%SOUR.NOTE2%,"Date:")}
  • {Page_Etc} => {%CUR~CITN.PAGE%}.
SourceTemplateGenericFields.png
SourceTemplateGenericFields.png (54.39 KiB) Viewed 305 times

Then a Generic Source Citation based on that Template would produce:

TemplatedGenericSourceCitation.png
TemplatedGenericSourceCitation.png (45.02 KiB) Viewed 305 times
GenericSource Record.png
GenericSource Record.png (14.13 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

joe81au
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Post by joe81au » 09 Jan 2021 00:25

Run with it Mike.

I certainly see the advantage for importing and exporting.
Joe Carter
Aiken, South Carolina, USA

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by tatewise » 09 Jan 2021 11:26

Yes, it seems to combine most of the benefits of Generic Sources with Templated Sources.

Note that standard Repository links {%SOUR.REPO%} work as expected.
Other fields that can be used are Custom Id {%SOUR.REFN%}, Type {%SOUR._TYPE%} & Publication Info {%SOUR.PUBL%}
Also, citation Note {%CUR~CITN.NOTE2%} and Entry Date {%CUR~CITN.DATA.DATE%}

Those are all TEXT fields except for Repository and Entry Date, but you can still use Source Template fields with type NAME, DATE, PLACE, ADDR, ENUM & URL although they won't map onto Generic Source fields for import/export.
However, rich text Note and Text From Source fields can hold URL web links and NAME & PLACE record links.
So the only significant loss would appear to be DATE, ADDR & ENUM.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry