* FH7 Paragraphs missing in reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH7 Paragraphs missing in reports

Post by AdrianBruce »

tatewise wrote: 12 Dec 2020 14:19... The only alternative workaround is to move the <para> or <br> codes to the end of Sentence Templates.
I was wondering what might happen there. I am reasonably certain that, in v6 or earlier, I tried the codes at the end of the sentences, with some odd formatting results. Indeed I have a note that you warned that this might result in
odd side effects on the superscript cross-reference numbers to Sources. They are either too close to the following sentence, or overlay the start of the line and the next line is indented.
Putting the codes at the start worked for me (and still does in v6, of course). I guess it remains to be seen if the odd effects have gone away in v7. However, this may result in possibly minor effects for me: Some of my facts sort-of-always come in pairs - for instance baptism will always be preceded by a birth - it's just the way that I work. I can omit the <para> from the start of the Baptism narrative sentence and it runs on from the previous sentence which (late baptisms excepted!) will always be the birth. That seems OK. But a birth will not always be followed by a baptism, so I'll not be able to run the birth and following baptism narratives together. Which may not be a major issue, of course.

Just to add to the mix, I have been using occasional Narrative Sentence over-rides of

Code: Select all

<para>{note}
I've done that where I have given up on trying to get a sensibly readable result from the generated sentence and have made the Fact Note substitute for the computerese. Remarkably, even though I have my reports to normally add the Note via the setting at the report level, rather than via all the sentences, the Note isn't printed twice.

Using <para>{note} will bring two issues - first the loss of the newline in front of my notes and secondly the loss of any Rich Text in the Note. However, based on what I just tried in v6, it looks as if

Code: Select all

<para>
will work just as well for replacing the computerese with my note text and will not (I presume) suffer the loss of the Rich Text. However, goodness knows where the new line - if any - will go in v7...

More mental implementation notes for me...
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it is an unfortunate scenario that hopefully CP will fix in an update to FH v7.
In my opinion, FH v7 has been released for commercial reasons with some significant snags.
New users will take a while to discover them but meanwhile established users are inconvenienced.
It is a bit like a major Windows 10 feature update. I always wait to let others find the bugs.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

A workaround that seems to work OK is to insert a non-printing character before the <para> or <br>. I've used zero width joiner by entering "U+200d" via AutoHotkey. Alternatively, you can use copy and paste from Zero Width Joiner.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
natashahouseman
Diamond

Post by natashahouseman »

Hi, just wondering if this made it onto a wishlist (couldn't see it). I'm with the group that would always like a line or para break before certain facts in narrative reports, but don't always know whether I want it after a fact. Thanks!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

This was fixed:
The sentence template code <para> did not start a new paragraph. Also <br> did not break a line. Fixed
natashahouseman
Diamond

Post by natashahouseman »

ColeValleyGirl wrote: 13 Nov 2023 21:04 This was fixed:
Aaah, oops, thanks, it was me failing to put it in correctly!