* "C:\output" folder deletion

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Paulamoulton
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

"C:\output" folder deletion

Post by Paulamoulton » 15 Nov 2020 16:56

I downloaded some newspaper articles from FindMyPast which I have stored in pdf format on my PC in the F:\ drive inside a family history folder.
Knowing that the Family Historian software won't accept pdf files I had been using screen copies to create media files.
However, I read an article in this FHUG which suggested downloading some conversion software.

https://www.fhug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?i ... ts:pdf2jpg

I followed the download instructions and the file was stored at "C:\output". When I went to open the file after refusing to part with the money it was demanding I ended up with heavily marked copies with "UNREGISTERED" across the page.
Fine, so I decided not to use it and revert back to my original method, no problem.
Now, I find that I cannot delete the "C:\output" folder nor its contents. Usually I wouldn't bother, but I definitely do not want that file left on the C drive. I have tried using the command prompt but I am getting nowhere, as if the system cannot see the folder or the file.
Unfortunately, everyone else apart from the system can easily see the file.
Please, how can I delete it?
Paula Moulton - researching Piper-Andrews and Moulton-Orme families.

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: "C:\output" folder deletion

Post by tatewise » 15 Nov 2020 20:26

I did not download anything from the https://www.pdftojpgconverter.com/ web site.
I used the Knowledge Base > Download.

That converted PDF to JPG without any demand for money or UNREGISTERED.

Simply use Windows File Explorer to Delete the C:\output folder.
That won't be possible if you still have a converted JPG file open.

You must also uninstall the program via Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & Features
Select the PDF To JPG Converter 2.0 app and Uninstall.

If that does not exist maybe you did not install PDF To JPG Converter but something else?

Screenshots of PDF files may not achieve a suitably high resolution in the JPG files and depends on the monitor resolution.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Paulamoulton
Diamond

Post by Paulamoulton » 16 Nov 2020 01:49

Quote: "I used the Knowledge Base > Download."
I thought I did, too, Mike.
However, I will have another look at it later. There are two links on the page.
In the meantime, the resulting "C:\output" folder and its contents were hidden from Windows even though it could be accessed. It could not be deleted, or removed. It said: "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\. Verify the item's location and try again."
In the end I had to use the command prompt with takeown, icacls, and rmdir along with appropriate parameters to remove the folder and the included file. What a palaver!!
Anyway, problem solved and thanks for your quick response.
Paula

David2416
Famous

Post by David2416 » 16 Nov 2020 07:14

There are indeed two links on that page. The second wanted to download an exe to which l got a message 'could not download safely'. The first seemed okay.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 16 Nov 2020 09:32

The first link simply connects to the product website and does not download anything unless you choose something on that website.

The second link is the installation .exe file, and as is often the case with small unfamiliar files, Windows or your malware package decides to play safe and warn that it may be unsafe.
Often all that is necessary is to right-click and open its Properties and tick Unblock.

Paula, what App did you need to uninstall using the Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & Features process I suggested?
That will confirm what you installed.

Also, can you 'see' the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie hidden folder? ( NOT C:\Program Files )
If not then I suggest you reveal hidden folders as advised in Knowledge Base > Family Historian Program Data Folder under Windows 8, 8.1, 10 near the bottom.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Paulamoulton
Diamond

Post by Paulamoulton » 17 Nov 2020 01:02

First, about the links. Here is EXACTLY what I did, step by step:
Open FHUG and go to Knowledge Base Home.
Search "pdf" in the knowledge base search box.
Click on the link which is called "Utility ~ PDF To Image File Converter"
Read the article called "Description". Note that the first link is for further details, screen shots, and alternative download link. And notice that the second paragraph is called "Installation Instructions".
Read Installation Instructions. Do as it says, ie click on the link and save the pdf2jpg.exe file.
Note that when one first clicks on it, nothing happens.
So right click and save the file to Downloads.
Run the file, follow the instructions.
Now you already know what happened next as I described it in my earlier post.

I uninstalled the program using the old Control Panel, Program and Features, select program and Uninstall.
I then deleted the exe file from Downloads.
I restarted my PC and ran some trusted software to remove any orphaned files, etc.
Then I noticed the folder at C:\output in the root of the C drive, and its contained folder and file.
It would not delete under any GUI process. And I can assure you that I am no novice when it comes to Windows or its underlying structure.
So I tried using the command prompt as administrator, and even after apparently deleting and confirming "Are you sure?(Y/N)" the file was not deleted.
Eventually I took control using commands takeown, icacls and rmdir with appropriate parameters and it was deleted.

And no I do not have files hidden, and can see Calico Pie, etc.

I know what I installed, and I know where it came from.

In any case I have now solved the problem and moved on.
As for pdf converters I am not going to explore the subject any further as I am perfectly OK with what I have.

In any case I am about to stop my research in the immediate future and spend more time doing other things because I finished my work for John last summer and now it seems that my surviving family are not the least interested in my, our own, family history.
As you may imagine, that was a shock and a moment of realisation.

I will probably return to have a look at the new 1921 census files when they come out, for my own curiosity.

Many thanks for all your help.