* Exporting to Ancestry Error

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
ColinBeaver
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Exporting to Ancestry Error

Post by ColinBeaver »

I have previously successfully exported my FH file to Ancestry.

This time when uploaded my gedcom file to Ancestry, there are random numbers at the end of each address.

Can anyone please help
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Exporting to Ancestry Error

Post by tatewise »

That symptom has cropped up before when Place names have Source Citations.

In fact you had the problem as reported in Exporting GEDcom to Ancestry (15635) in 2018.

So exactly what export strategy are you using?

Are you using the Export Gedcom File plugin?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike

Thank you for your response.

I have attached a screen shot of the Export Gedcom Plugin which is what I think I have used previously.
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
Export~Plugin.jpg (94.23 KiB) Viewed 8763 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that Plugin is a popular option that could form part of the export process.

You say that is what you used previously, but what did you use this time that resulted in the problem?

When uploading to public online trees such as Ancestry you should also take care to hide living people detail.

So what is the export strategy you are using now?

When you establish a working strategy, you should write it down so you can repeat it each you need to upload again.
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Back in 2018, I took an Ancestry DNA Test and therefore opened an Ancestry Account.

With your help I was able to upload my tree successfully to Ancestry. In each case, prior to uploading, I delete potentially living relatives.

Since then I have successfully uploaded over 8 trees. They were all uploaded using to settings as per my previous post.

As a check, I deleted a tree previously uploaded to Ancestry. I then prepared and successfully upload the tree to Ancestry, with no spurious numbers at the end of the addresses.

I then followed the same procedure in preparing the Hopkins&O’Malley Tree. When uploaded to Ancestry, I again had spurious numbers at the end of the addresses. See attached screen shot.

In case it has any bearing, my system for inputting location into Family Historian is to enter the Town, County and Country into the Place field and house number and street etc into the Address field.

Any suggestion as to what to check next would be most useful
AncestryScreenShot.jpg
AncestryScreenShot.jpg (66.19 KiB) Viewed 8620 times
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

I have a suspicion that I've been in discussions about these spurious numbers before - but can't find where. I've never totally understood where and how Ancestry keeps its list of valid place names but it does have one - or maybe one for each user? Most of those in your screen shot have either a clear problem (well, it's clear to me...) or a possible one... Most... So maybe the number appears when Ancestry gets a head-ache trying to load your place-name and so adds a number...

Hazel Grove, Stockport, Cheshire doesn't appear as a valid choice in the drop-down list when I attempt to enter it as a place-name in my Ancestry tree. It's actually Hazel Grove, Cheshire, England.

Macclesfield, Cheshire also doesn't appear as a valid choice. It suggests either Macclesfield, Cheshire, England or Hurdsfield, Macclesfield, Cheshire, England - the latter may, however, be one that only appears in my tree.

I see Ballaghaderren, Carlow, Ireland not Ballaghaderren, Mayo, Ireland.

Carracastle, Mayo, Ireland does exist - however, it also suggests Carracastle Parish, Mayo, Ireland so maybe it can't tell which one you want???

Unfortunately Swinford, Mayo, Ireland does appear to blow my theory out of the water - I only see Swinford, Mayo, Ireland - is it possible that you have another variant of Swinford in that tree?

It might be worth your taking a copy and changing some of those place-names to match the Ancestry values, loading that and seeing what happens with the changed values.
Adrian
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Adrain

Thank you for your suggestions.

I use Hazelwood address in another tree with no problems.

I suddenly thought that this Tree started as a download from Ancestry (provided by a distant cousin).

Having checked the tree, added citations and more Ancestors, I reloaded to Ancestry.

The Ancestors and facts that I have added do not appear to have this number problem.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Colin, did you review the solution given in Exporting GEDcom to Ancestry (15635)?

The Export Gedcom File plugin settings you posted Wednesday look OK.

BUT do NOT open the exported GEDCOM file in FH before uploading to Ancestry as that will upset the work done by the Plugin.

The exported GEDCOM file will have a name like Hopkins&O’Malley Tree ANC UTF8.ged so is that what you uploaded?

When the Plugin exports Place names it adds a Source Citation for each one since Ancestry does not allow Place records.
I have a suspicion that sometimes Ancestry adds those Source Citation record id numbers to Place names by mistake.
To confirm that, you can inspect the exported GEDCOM and review the 2 SOUR @S....@ numbers nearby.

When running the Plugin, instead of (+) Full Data, select (-) Brief Data, which excludes those Place Source Citations entirely, and see whether those strange numbers vanish.
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike

Thank you for the suggestions.

From day one, I have never opened the exported gedcom in FH before uploading to Ancestry.

"To confirm that, you can inspect the exported GEDCOM and review the 2 SOUR @S....@ numbers nearby." - How do I exactly do this.

When running the Plugin, instead of (+) Full Data, select (-) Brief Data, which excludes those Place Source Citations entirely, and see whether those strange numbers vanish. - I tried this but unfortunately it did not solve the problem.

Many Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To review the exported GEDCOM file contents, open it with a plain text editor such as Windows Notepad.
I right-click the Hopkins&O’Malley Tree ANC UTF8.ged file and choose Edit which opens Notepad.

Then use Edit > Find..., search for 2 PLAC , and review the nearby 2 SOUR @S...@ record Id numbers.
Repeat for each Place name.
Do those record Id have any correspondence with the Ancestry Place name numbers?

I have gone over your earlier postings and reading between the lines wonder if it is only the Hopkins&O’Malley Tree that exhibits the problem numbers?
Is there anything unusual about the records that were originally imported from Ancestry?
Have you run all the usual import validation and clean up processes on imported GEDCOM files?
e.g. Are there any UDF, UID, etc, etc, non-FH fields that when sent back to Ancestry cause the upset?

It is all a bit mysterious, especially as I have never experienced the problem, despite uploading many times to Ancestry.

Colin, can you produce a cut-down Project and export a GEDCOM that exhibits the same problems?
If so, then perhaps you could attach that GEDCOM here for me to investigate.
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike
Thanks again.

"Do those record Id have any correspondence with the Ancestry Place name numbers?" no numbers when checked in Notepad

As requested I have attached a sample gedcom file
Hopkins&O'Malley~sample ANC UTF8.ged
Thanks & Regards
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There must be some 2 SOUR @S...@ lines otherwise there would be no Source Citations at all.
It is the number between @S and @ that I am talking about.

Unfortunately, you have not attached the GEDCOM file, but simply pasted its filename into the text box.
You must use the ATTACHMENTS tab that is often off the bottom of your screen and you must scroll to see it.
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Looking at the export gedcom file in Notepad has no spurious numbers at the end of the address line.

I will try again to attached the gedcom file
Attachments
Hopkins&O'Malley~sample ANC UTF8.ged
(8.88 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have found the cause of the strange numbers after the Place names.

In the GEDCOM file after a 2 PLAC Name tag line there sometimes is a 3 SOUR @S1234@ tag line citation.
In every case where such a Citation exists there is a number after the Place name such as for John Hopkins (1879-1961).
But for his father John Hopkins (1846–1914) there are no such Citations and thus no numbers on the Ancestry places.

The reason is that Ancestry does not allow level 3 Citations on Place name fields, so it gets upset and displays what I guess may be an error number, but only the Ancestry designers could fully explain.

Anyway, the question is where do those invalid 3 SOUR @S1234@ tag lines come from.
They are what the Export Gedcom File plugin uses to substitute for Place records.
If that Plugin is used with GEDCOM Export Mode set to (Std) Standard GEDCOM 5.5 then it uses 3 SOUR @S1234@ tags.
But if it is used with GEDCOM Export Mode set to (ANC) Ancestry Family Tree then it uses 2 SOUR @S1234@ tags.
Now your GEDCOM appears to have been derived from using both modes somehow but only for some Individuals.
Can you throw any light on how that might have happened?

I think I know how to fix the problem, but will need some feedback from you.
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike

I have no idea how this has happened as I strongly believe that I have used the same process for all of my tree.

From Ancestry on this problem
"Thank you for contacting Ancestry. This could be down to a formatting issue. Are the number's at the end of the addresses house numbers? Unfortunately our system does not recognize street names, house numbers etc and is only able to recognize locations by - Town/city, country and county. When you are typing location information in the required field, you should see a drop down of locations appearing. You then have to click on the correct location from the drop down. Location can be changed manually at any time."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Your other posting Problem with Flags & Fact Address (18201) exhibits similar characteristics.
i.e. A GEDCOM created by the Export Gedcom File plugin has been imported into FH with unusual consequences.
So it would seem to be a recurring mistake you are making.

The message from Ancestry is worthless and misleading.
It would have helped if Ancestry produced some form of error log to explain GEDCOM problems it encounters.
ColinBeaver
Diamond

Post by ColinBeaver »

Hello Mike

I contacted Ancestry in the hope of some help, but to be quite honest, I did not hoild my breath.

I pasted on the comment, just on the off chance it mght have helped.

The file have have produced from scratch which was split into 6 individualb tree does not have any of the problems, as found in either the Hopkins& O'Malley or Kendrick&Bates. The commonality is that these trees used download gedcom files as the original file.

I hope this helps
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm convinced that somehow the Projects have been derived from GEDCOM produced by the Export Gedcom File plugin.
The names of the Source records like Ω Place Record: Ballaghaderreen, Mayo, Ireland are unique to the plugin.
They cannot come from an Ancestry download unless that Ancestry tree came from an Export Gedcom File upload.

However, do you want to fix the problems here or in the Problem with Flags & Fact Address (18201) thread?
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

Hi Mike,
EXPORTING TO ANCESTRY
I too had anomalies on Ancestry similar to Colin; "Ireland" suffixes such as "Ireland209" , "Ireland 240" etc.
Also places moved to different counties; my "Lislea, County Armagh" was on a person's birth OK but Ancestry's Profile-Life Story, in the paragraph above, generated "Lislea Monaghan" - on many entries!
I used your suggestion to Colin: "When running the Plugin, instead of (+) Full Data, select (-) Brief Data, which excludes those Place Source Citations entirely, and see whether those strange numbers vanish."
At one stroke this corrected everything. Thanks again Mike for getting me out of the mire.
Now I have to decide what to say to all the Ancestry users with our family but have these annoying anomalies on their tree!
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Tell them it was a test to make sure they didn't blindly copy you tree! :D
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

I'm tempted to...
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I export mine to FTM and sychonise the names with Ancestery. A green lef appears next to all names indicating sources on Ancestry. I prompt the green flag and a list os sources appear I prompt details on the list which leads my to Ancestry where I find what I am looking for. When on Ancestry a new list appears

Victor