* Name and name 2 on Main Tab of Property box

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Name and name 2 on Main Tab of Property box

Post by E Wilcock »

It is Sunday and very hot so this can wait till tomorrow.

I may be dreaming but I thought that the two name fields on the main tab of the property box could display two alternative names for the same person. Name 1 and Name 2
That is, that for a married woman, her married name might show underneath her birth name.
This is no longer happening either in my own Projects nor the fh sample project.

I liked this because I am using records where sources may differ on the correct forenames for a person and I enter both versions of the name.

What have I done to create this problem? For it seems to affect the sample project as well as my own.

When I change the setting to married name the field is left blank.
I must have altered my main tab setting or names in some way which I dont understand and cant remedy.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Name and name 2 on Main Tab of Property box

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum that is more appropriate.

Does your Property Box have two Name boxes on the Main tab as shown below?
Only the top Name box is defined by default. You must use cog Menu > Customize Data Entry to add the other.
The top box shows Primary Name (%INDI.NAME[1]%) and other box shows first Alternate Name (%INDI.NAME[2]%).
If you click more (+)... is there both a Primary Name and an Alternate Name shown?

AlternateNamesBox.png
AlternateNamesBox.png (14.23 KiB) Viewed 2994 times

What setting are you changing to married name?
Is that in the cog Menu > Customize Data Entry for the Main tab Selected Items?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike. That has fixed it.
I didnt realise that adding the [2] would change Name to a custom field which I could then edit.
I have absolutely no memory at all of customising this.
I suspect I fixed it up right from the start when handling the Anglicization of German names. May be it was something you helped me do but so long ago that I regarded it as default to the software.

It is a warning to me not to set everything to return to Installation settings. I had a bit of difficulty and decided to do that -I may have lost other settings too. I am so sorry.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

An important thing to do is run the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin and perform a Backup.
That will save all custom settings, and allow them to be restored, even if you return to Installation Settings.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I will do that Mike. Though when we bought this new computer I remember I failed at that too and had to copy the calico pie programme data file.
The good news is that I have been checking and entering lists of war dead against a census and should complete that today. Though tredious, fh is brilliant for massive and repetitive data entry.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, copying the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder of customisations is a good alternative.
But you need to know what to copy back to restore any disturbed settings.
If you just copy back everything then you must take care not to overwrite any more recent custom settings.
The Plugin makes it a bit easier because it warns if it is trying to restore a setting which has a more recent update.