* Export Gedcom File Tweaks

Writing and using plugins for Version 5 and above.
satyricon
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Export Gedcom File Tweaks

Post by satyricon » 08 Aug 2020 00:11

Hi,

I've started using the Export Gedcom File plugin, and finding it very useful. I would like to ask if there are some tweaks I can make in the options, which I might have missed.

1. In EXTRA OPTIONS, under the Media Keywords %d _KEYS options, one of the options is "Move to Note & _TYPE (TNG)". I would like to be able to just change the _KEYS tag to _TYPE without creating a note record to go with it. Is this possible?

2. Is there an option to keep Media file names the same without adding an identifier at the beginning? I understand the purpose of them, but I have unique file names already, and outputting files with different names to the originals (I use the very useful resize options) causes me problems elsewhere.

3. All my media files sit in a folder outside of the Family Historian folder. Ticking the "Keep Media Folders" option is useful, but only appears to work if the files are sat in the Family Historian media folder. I could move them all under this FH folder but prefer not to if I don't have to. Is there an option to control this?

Many thanks for any advice.

Adrian.

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Export Gedcom File Tweaks

Post by tatewise » 08 Aug 2020 10:55

Hi Adrian.

What genealogy product are you exporting to?
If it is likely to be of interest to others then I might be able to design specific options for that product.
  1. The Move to Note & _TYPE (TNG) option does not behave the way you think (see the Help & Advice for TNG formats).
    It only puts the first of any entirely uppercase _KEYS Keyword into a _TYPE tag for a TNG Media Collection.
    All the Keywords are moved into a local Note field in the Media record not a separate Note record.
    To achieve your objective use Keep Custom Tag and post edit the GEDCOM file to replace _KEYS with _TYPE.
  2. Use the (FILE~ABS) Multimedia via Absolute Link Records to use the existing files and thus retain their names.
  3. Since your Media files are all external, the above option will simply point the GEDCOM records at them.
    But beware that if you use any Link to Face/Details frames then they will be ignored.
BTW: Are you aware of the consequences of keeping Media files outside the Project folder?
e.g. FH Backup commands will never include those files. Migrating to another PC may break all the Media file links.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

satyricon
Famous

Post by satyricon » 09 Aug 2020 14:04

Hi Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your guidance.

I'm exporting to TNG. I have been doing this for some years - in fact, just uploading FH's raw GEDCOM - and in general it has been successful. I briefly changed over to GedSite as I thought this would be simpler to maintain, but I never managed to get the site looking exactly as I wanted it, so I have changed back to TNG and thought I would take the opportunity to re-jig things and smooth out my workflow. I never previously managed to get the 'Import Media' working successfully (especially to custom Collections) so I had to add the media manually. I have now cracked this, and the 'lightbulb' moment came reading another of your posts mentioning that the _KEYS tag needs to be a _TYPE tag - so many thanks for that! I only use the Media Keywords field to describe what sort of media it is - Birth Certificate, Census, Headstone, and so on. From your reply, I now understand that others may use the field to add other descriptive keywords, and these will move to the Notes field when using your Export plugin. However, since I now only add in the custom TNG Collection name into this field - which allows the TNG import to assign it directly to the correct Collection after changing _KEYS to _TYPE - the values are meaningless for other people to see - e.g., CERTB, 1891CEN, etc.. Unfortunately by moving them to a Note they appear under the media when shown in TNG - as I say, useful for more descriptive Keywords but irrelevant for my needs.

As you suggest, I have been experimenting with leaving the _KEYS in the file and doing a file/replace before uploading, and that is very little effort. I was just wondering if I had missed another option which would not move the values to a Note field, since I am (a) lazy and (b) forgetful, so I prefer a one-stop-shop solution if I can engineer it.

In regard to Media files location and naming - I very much appreciate your plugin's ability to convert to jpeg and resize, since I hold a lot of large hi-resolution images that would be expensive and unnecessary to store on a web server (I note on my site that people are welcome to contact me for full-size images). So the solution for me is to move the files into FH6's Media folder structure and work with them there. I only currently work with them outside of this structure as that's what I did prior to using FH and I have kept them separate ever since. However, I use the same folder structure so moving them is easy, and I'm going to do that this afternoon. This allows me to use your Keep Media Folders function easily. As far as filenames are concerned, I have decided that having the prefix is not an issue as everything else will fall into place and I can live with that. At the moment I have my actual photos (of people, rather than documents) in Flickr and link to them from TNG, but I will be doing some work in the next few months to bring them into FH6.

Thanks again for your advice, best wishes, Adrian.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 09 Aug 2020 15:36

So presumably you are now using the (TNG) The Next Generation export mode for the Export Gedcom File Plugin.
There is advice about the Output Formats for each mode via the Help & Advice button or via the Knowledge Base pages Knowledge Base > Export Gedcom File Plugin and for TNG is Knowledge Base > Export Gedcom File ~ (TNG) The Next Generation which explains how _KEYS Keywords are handled.

Nobody else who uses the Plugin to export to TNG has commented on the Keywords being put into the Note field.
Perhaps any such users could offer any advice here.

If you still need to remove those Note fields, then in the exported TNG GEDCOM file a plain text editor should able to locate the 0 @O...@ OBJE records and delete the 1 NOTE keyword lines.

After you have moved the Media files into the Project, use the Tools > External File Links > Auto Repair Links button to mend all the broken links automatically.

satyricon
Famous

Post by satyricon » 09 Aug 2020 16:13

Yes, that's right, I'm using the TNG mode to export, although I have tweaked the options a fair amount to suit the output I prefer. Having the choice to do so is very useful. I have opted to set the option to leave the _KEYS tag as-is, and then do a quick Replace All in Notepad to change them to _TYPE. This works perfectly for me, since I don't use the keywords for anything else. I understand it's impossible to code the plug-in for every person's situation and I'm grateful for the options you have provided. (Having been a coder for 20 years in my previous job, I know how complex these things can get).

Thanks again, Adrian.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 09 Aug 2020 17:26

I will revist that TNG _KEYS to _TYPE conversion to see if the Note can be eliminated, perhaps in the special case when the only Keyword is the one entered against the _TYPE tag.