* Alternative Branch for child records

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Jerry
Family Historian: V6

Alternative Branch for child records

Post by Jerry » 28 Jul 2020 04:32

Using 1861 and 1871 Census data, I have seemingly the same parents (same names and address) with very different children listed between the 1861 and 1871 census records.

To assist my investigations and reconciliations, I am seeking a way to record the census data from both years and label each 'children' option as, for example, alternative 1 (1861 census) and alternative 2 (1871 census).

Within the hierarchy diagram, I would then like to hide either branch so as not to overcrowd the hierarchy.

Once I have completed my investigations, I can then delete the erroneous records.

Perhaps the use of record Flags somehow?

Thoughts appreciated.

Jerry

Gowermick
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Alternative Branch for child records

Post by Gowermick » 28 Jul 2020 05:39

You could try adding a different picture via media tab. Use an image of a ‘1’ for one line and an image of a ‘2’ for the other. They will show up clearly in a diagram as a visual reminder, especially if you use bold colours. If you already have media attached, make sure you make the ‘1’ or ‘2’ the top or preferred image.

For example, I use a small image of a brick wall to attach to all my brick walls, (following someone’s suggestion) so that when I have a session of trying to break them down, I have the prominent visual clue to guide me. When I break through, I delete the media and attach it to my newly found brick walls. Not only is this a good visual clue in diagrams, it is also useful in queries, where I can select everyone with the image, to add them to my ‘Brick Wall’ list
Mike Loney

Using FH 6.2.7, with CC 6.7.37 Windows 10 Home, LibreOffice (x64), Firefox(x64) & Thunderbird
Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com

Jerry

Post by Jerry » 28 Jul 2020 07:49

Excellent idea Mike, and I like your 'brick wall' concept.

Appreciate the quick response . .

Jerry

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by tatewise » 28 Jul 2020 09:10

If you are still interested in hiding one set of children at a time in a Diagram then try this method.

Create a custom Query that produces a Result Set listing one set of children or the other depending on a parameter such as 1861 or 1871. The Rows tab filters would Add if a child of one parent Record Id and Exclude unless their Census event Year matches the parameter.

In a Diagram use Diagram > Selection & Marks > Set/Clear Marks using Query... and Run Query with the desired Year.
Then use Diagram > Hide/Show Boxes > Hide Selected Boxes.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Jerry

Post by Jerry » 29 Jul 2020 05:00

Mike T
Thanks for the pointer - a good excuse for me to take a first look into Selection & Marks, and it is exactly what I need.

With the two suggestions and using Flags to place an icon below each child I can:

1) set the icon to represent the different census years when viewing the full diagram, and
2) based upon the flag and custom reports, I can set the marks to filter the diagram as needed

Result is I get exactly what I need while I am doing my investigation, with everything captured in FH.

Thanks both Mikes!

Jerry