* Copying a project + customizations to a second PC

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
MartinR
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Copying a project + customizations to a second PC

Post by MartinR » 27 Jul 2020 19:32

Hi. I'm evaluating FH V6.2 (trial copy) for migration from TMG, distinctly interested in FH V7 ... and running on Windows 10.

I'm currently experimenting with customizing FH to cope with some personalized TMG Tags, and also to support ToDo Lists as described in Knowledge Base > To-Do List Attribute (custom facts, tabs, queries, reports, etc). I've noted that the customizations still apply if I then open a different project. Does this mean that customizations are part of an installation rather than a project? If I subsequently install FH on a second computer, would I be able to transfer the customizations along with the (migrated) project, or would I need to repeat the customization steps on the second machine? The second machine would be the "main" researcher's - my wife's (I'm just the technical "dogsbody"). I guess have the same question about Backups. Can ALL customizations get backed-up and restored if necessary?

I don't know if it makes a difference, but our genealogy project files (including FH Default Startup File) are stored on dedicated partitions (F:\) separate from the system C:\ partitions.

Thanks, Martin
Martin - after 30 years, discovered my wife's favourite grandparent was my second cousin twice removed - tricky stuff this family history lark ...

LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Copying a project + customizations to a second PC

Post by LornaCraig » 27 Jul 2020 20:17

Hello Martin, welcome to FHUG.

Yes, most customisations are part of an installation rather than a project. Different types of customisation are (confusingly) stored in different places. For a full rundown, see: Knowledge Base > Understanding the Scope of Features

Fortunately Mike Tate has written a plugin called Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings, which does exactly what it says, enabling you to have the same setup on two computers. (The licence agreement allows you to have FH installed on two computers provided the two copies are not both used at the same time.) Unfortunately plugins are the one feature of FH which is not available with the trial version so you can't test it until you buy a full version, but rest assured it works!

By the way, in case you haven't already found it there is a guide to importing from TMG here: Knowledge Base > Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG). Many FH users have come from TMG so any problems you encounter during or after the import will probably have solutions by now.
Lorna

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 27 Jul 2020 21:10

There are several alternatives for tracking research described in Knowledge Base > Planning and Tracking Your Research.

Keeping the Family Historian Projects in a separate partition from the C: drive is a popular and advisable option.
It has no impact on the global customisation data mostly held on the C: drive.

The migration steps are documented in Knowledge Base > Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

MartinR
Silver

Post by MartinR » 28 Jul 2020 19:31

My goodness! Just been browsing through your Guides and Forums, and it's a delight to see such thorough documentation. It almost brings tears to this old software developer's eyes ... Thanks for the references and I shall forge on ...
Martin - after 30 years, discovered my wife's favourite grandparent was my second cousin twice removed - tricky stuff this family history lark ...