* Place List

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
boswells
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Place List

Post by boswells » 22 Jun 2020 10:47

Two problems with the Place List
1.The screen opens up in semi minimised form and this hides the Select etc buttons at the foot of the screen.
2.When you use the [...] in the property boxes it opens the list for the selected place about four lines below the bottom of the screen.
How can I correct these problems?
Boswells

Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Place List

Post by Jane » 22 Jun 2020 10:53

Have you tried resizing it and positioning it and clicking OK, does it not remember the setting when you restart?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 22 Jun 2020 11:14

I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum that is more appropriate.

You can use Tools > Work with Data > Places... to open the Place List then the window can be dragged to a new position, and resized by dragging its edges, just like most other windows. That new position and size should be remembered after you click Close, even in the next FH session. (Have you maybe changed your PC or monitor to cause the position and size problem?)

PlaceList.png
PlaceList.png (29.04 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Last edited by ColeValleyGirl on 30 Jun 2020 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed type
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

keithatserendib
Silver

Post by keithatserendib » 30 Jun 2020 16:33

I was about to sypathise with Boswells on this because I noticed the other day that the place list didn't remember its size (in fact there are several bugs, more of which later). However, today upon trying Tools > Work with Data > Places... I see it DOES remember the size (although it doesn't remember full screen).

Other bugs here are:
(1) upon partially entering a place string in a fact's place field and clicking '...', the place list opens with the suggested place selected but you have to scroll the list to display it because is it off the bottom. Good design practice would put the selection in the middle of the view window.

(2) The buttons at the bottom of the place list (select, view in property box etc) are often invisible until the window is resized.

(3) No ability to resize the tiny font.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 30 Jun 2020 17:54

Do the problems (1) and (2) still exist after you have repositioned and resized the Place List window?

The new position and size are remembered indefinitely from FH session to FH session.
Maximise mode is not remembered, but it can be resized to almost full screen in Restore Down mode.

(1) In my experiments, the highlighted Place name is near the bottom of the window but never off the bottom.
The larger the window the further from the bottom.

(2) In my experiments, the buttons are always visible providing the window has been positioned centrally.

(3) This is true of many FH windows.

Can you please post screenshot examples of your (1) and (2) problems?

boswells
Platinum

Post by boswells » 02 Jul 2020 11:24

Your suggestions seem to fix the problems of width of the screen but not the height i.e. the Select button is still not showing. As I use this [...] very regularly in entering data in several parts of FH it is rather important that it is all in place all of the time. How do I get the Select button properly in the frame?
How do I send you the screen shot ?
Many thanks
Boswells

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 02 Jul 2020 11:43

Did you manage to increase the height of the Place List window and reposition it centrally?

See Knowledge Base > Posting Topics for advice on attaching screenshots.

boswells
Platinum

Post by boswells » 02 Jul 2020 16:26

Hi Mike
Sorry to take so long to reply. I have attached a shot of the bottom of my Places screen. As you can see there is nothing which would let me Select and so enter a Place name that I have found by entering three characters and the [...] button. Without this facility I cannot use the Places List for any real purpose. I seem to see a Select box very occasionaly but most of the time it is not there. I have tried to heighten the screen but to no effect.
Your help would be much appreciated,
Boswells
Attachments
FHug screeen.jpg
FHug screeen.jpg (43.83 KiB) Viewed 280 times

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 02 Jul 2020 17:06

Unfortunately, your screenshot is not very helpful because it does not show the whole Place List window.
It also looks like the Tools > Work with Data > Places version of the window that has no Select button.
That window is for managing Place names that are selected by clicking them and using the righthand buttons.

I thought we were discussing the Place List shown after clicking the [...] button on the right of a Place field as shown below.
You would then select the desired Place name and click the Select button to update the Place field.

PlaceList.png
PlaceList.png (114.06 KiB) Viewed 268 times

boswells
Platinum

Post by boswells » 04 Jul 2020 10:10

Hi Mike the select range of buttons has now reappeared but the screen had to be maximsed by pulling out the corners to their extreme positions as you suggested but this it did not survive being switched off. Will give it a run but meantime my thanks.
Boswells.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 04 Jul 2020 10:46

You should not need to pull the corners to extreme positions.
Have you tried centralising the window similar to my screenshot?
Two screenshots of the whole Place List window (like mine) would help (you can add them both to one posting):
1) After using Tools > Work with Data > Places.
2) After using [...] button in a Place field.

If its position & size are not being remembered, there may be some underlying problem that also affects the buttons.
Is the position & size remembered within one FH session from one use of the Place List to the next?
If you close FH and then run FH again is the position & size remembered then?

If not then one generic fix-all solution may be to just re-install FH V6.2.7 over your existing installation.
Do NOT uninstall anything.
Just download and install from the https://www.family-historian.co.uk/down ... ee-upgrade Latest Free Update page.