* Individuals Usual Address Missing from Autotext Template

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
David Potter
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Individuals Usual Address Missing from Autotext Template

Post by David Potter »

Hi Forum.
Ancestral Sources - Auto Template issue for Death

Can anyone help me correct the Death Certificate 1837- (England/Wales) Auto Template? It is missing creating the Usual Address of the deceased individual in the Text From Source Window. Consequently it is then missing from the FH Source Record when created. Please look at the attached image. You will see that populating the field: Individual Residence does not in turn populate the contents of the Text From Source window below it. I have checked the template and even restored the Templates to default Installation Settings but the problem persists. Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge to fix the template myself.

The good news is AS does go on to correctly create the FH Residence Fact for the missing Individual Residence which should appear in the AS Text From Source window. So only the resulting FH Source Record itself is incorrect. The Fact containing the address is created correctly in FH.

Wish I had noticed this sooner :-(

Many thanks

David Potter
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (220 KiB) Viewed 7327 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (106.09 KiB) Viewed 7327 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Individuals Usual Address Missing from Autotext Template

Post by tatewise »

David, you are confusing two logical Addresses, that are sometimes the same physical Address.

The Address that appears on the Death Certificate against When and where died must be entered at the top of the Main Info tab where it asks for Place and Address next to the Death Date.
That is the Address and Place that gets inserted into the Text From Source transcript.

Whereas you are highlighting the Individual Residence Place & Address which may be the same physical address, but only gets added to the Residence fact.

The AS Help for Death Records does explain the difference:
Place and Address (Main Info Tab)
The place where the death occurred can be entered in the place text box. As you enter the title Ancestral Sources will try to predict the place being entered by looking for the most frequently occurring place in the GEDCOM family history file. The death place is the town or village, e.g. Warrington, Lancashire, England.
Once the place has been entered an address can be typed in, this would be the house number/name or hospital and road (if known) within the place specified. Alternatively, an address that has already been recorded for the place can be selected from the address drop-down list.
Individual Residence (Main Info Tab)
If the deceased individual's residence place and (optionally) address are specified then these will be recorded as residence facts for each of them in the file when the record is saved. A residence fact will not be created if the place and address are left blank. If you want the residence details to be recorded because they are implied by the death record but are not actually specifically mentioned, then enter the details but untick the box. If you use an autotext template to generate a transcript of the death record then the unticked fields will not be included.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike
I fully understand the difference. But what I am saying albeit not very clearly perhaps is; if I have a death certificate post 1837 then part of the recorded information is the normal residence of the individual who has died. So simply put they die in Warrington, in the General Hospital this is entered into the Place and Address at the top of the entry screen as you say. That said, if at the time they lived in Salford at 16 Balmoral Gardens this is entrered into the Individual Residence field just above the Occupation field. Which when Individual Residence is checked AS updates FH creating three distinct Facts:

Residence: Place and Address as in Salford, 16 Balmoral Gardens
Occupation
Died in as in Warrington, General Hospital

All is fine as far as FH Facts go. What is missing is that the created Source Record > Text from Source does not contain the Residence Place and Address information for Salford, 16 Balmoral Gardens. The AS Auto Text Template even when reset to default Installation does not write this into the Text From Source panel when using the Auto Text Template for Death 1837. And is therefore missing from the Source Record when created in FH.

Hope that explains the problem better.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Mike

I should have said I think there is code missing from the Auto Text Template to allow the Individual Residence info to be written into the Text from Source Panel in AS.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Mike
Actually the check mark against Individual Residence make no difference to the result in FH. A Residence Fact is created whether checked or not. Either way the Source Record is missing The Individual Residence Place and Address info.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

UK Death Certificates did not have a column for Residential Address until fairly recently.
(I notice that since about 1990 there is now an Occupation and usual address box.)

That explains why the Death Certificate 1837- (England/Wales) autotext template does not include Residence Address.
However, I can see the Help advice is confusing in this case, as it implies it should be included unless the tick is omitted.
What it ought to add is the tick is only relevant if the Residence Place & Address are coded in the autotext template.

If you choose the Generic Death autotext template then the Residence Place & Address are recorded.
Then you will see that the tick against Individual Residence has an effect on the autotext.
But that template does not mimic the UK Death Certificate format for inserting in Text From Source.

One option is to manually edit the Autotext box in AS or the Text From Source box in FH to include the desired Place & Address such that the transcript mimics the Death Certifcate. AS advises that editing the Autotext to mimic the Source document is a very common practice, because the Autotext can only be a machine generated approximation (rather like Narrative Sentences are often imperfect).

Alternatively, you can edit the Death Certificate 1837- (England/Wales) autotext template.
From the Tools > Autotext Template Editor use Duplicate to make a copy of that master template.
I think that will make the copy immune from being Reset to installation settings.
Give this copy a new Title perhaps with a later date as only recent certificates have the residence address.
These recent Death Certificates have a different style and headings, so the template could be redesigned.
Anyway, decide where you want the Residence Place & Address to appear, perhaps just before Cause of Death.
The following design assumes the heading is to be omitted if no Residence Place & Address are entered or is not ticked.
The new autotext script is in bold to show where it fits between Occupation and Cause of Death:

{SPOUSE.FULL} |]{KEYPERSON.OCCUPATION}=IF[{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS}{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.PLACE}|
Usual Address: |]=IF[{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS}|{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS}, |]{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.PLACE.SHORT}

Cause of Death: {KEYPERSON.CAUSEOFDEATH} Certified {KEYPERSON.CAUSECERTIFIED}

It uses two =IF[ ... | ... ] statement to make various parts conditional.
It starts immediately after the end of the Occupation script and includes a new line before the Usual Address: heading in order to make the whole line vanish when no Address or Place or tick.
If an Address exists then it is conditionally followed by a comma & space.
Hint: To obtain keywords such as KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS use the < Keyword button on the right.
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

The introduction of occupation has lead to some unusual consequences residential address is not the only example of "other information" making its way officially or unofficially onto death certificates.

When my father died the registrar was very happy to put "retired government scientist" as his "occupation"; what he would have thought about the registrar's insistence that his occupation was also husband of my mother - given that she had left him 25 years before - I don't know. Will that be useful or confusing for genealogists in centuries to come?

He would also not have appreciated the registrar again insisting that his birth place was recorded as Camden when the registration district in which he was born was Hampstead!
Last edited by davidf on 01 Apr 2020 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, davidf, but what has that got to do with this AS thread??
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike. Just seen your post re my issue. I'll read thru and try it out when I get back to my laptop. Thanks very much for your time looking into this.

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

After more investigation it seems Occupation and usual address was added to UK Death Certificates about 1968.
Before that, it just had Occupation without any residential address.
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

tatewise wrote: 01 Apr 2020 09:26 Sorry, davidf, but what has that got to do with this AS thread??
Not intended to be entirely off topic (cabin fever?), but if you are using AS to enter up a death certificate (such as my father's, but his case was not unusual - others may know of other information that registrars capture and put somewhere on the certificate) you will find relationship information in the occupation field.

So if discussing amending the template to include residential address, there is possibly also a need to consider whether there is other information that might want to be captured either as just in the note, or possibly to populate another field (e.g. FAMS) or to add the death cert as a source for the already recorded marriage.
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ok, I understand now.
For such relatively rare cases, where there is no established heading in the Certificate, and no field in AS to enter such information, then you must use the technique I mentioned earlier and manually edit the Autotext box.
That is quite often needed to make the Autotext and thus the Text From Source an accurate transcript, even when there is no extraordinary information being entered.

As for extra Citations, that needs similar manual intervention in FH after closing AS.
It is unreasonable to expect free software like AS, that is only designed to capture the most conventional cases, to cater for such rareties as finding marriage relationships on a Death Certificate.

The only issue being discussed in this thread is that Residence Place & Address, which are standard AS data items, were not included in the standard UK Death Certificate template installed by AS.
The explanation is that until about 1968 those items did not exist on a UK Death Certificate.
So the solution is a new template for later Death Certificates that do have an Occupation and usual address heading.
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Mike, I'm just testing your solution. Is there anyway to avoid using the New Line after Occupation and Before the Usual Address? It just doesn't look right with an empty line. Forgive my OCD
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is exactly what my script should do. Did you study my paragraph of explanation after it?

{KEYPERSON.OCCUPATION}=IF[{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS}{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.PLACE}|
Usual Address: |]=IF[{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS}|{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS}, |]{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.PLACE.SHORT}

Notice how the inserted =IF[{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS}{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.PLACE}|
Usual Address: |]
follows on the same line at the end of the {KEYPERSON.OCCUPATION} definition.

The only New Line is immediately before Usual Address: so if that text is omitted then so is the New Line.
There should be no blank New Line between Occupation: and whatever comes next.

If I have misunderstood what layout you want and you need Occupation: and Usual Address: all on the same line, then replace that New Line character with a space as below:

{KEYPERSON.OCCUPATION}=IF[{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS}{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.PLACE}| Usual Address: |]=IF[{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS}|{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.ADDRESS}, |]{KEYPERSON.RESIDENCE.PLACE.SHORT}
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

Hi Mike, my fault. I incorrectly placed the new code under Occupation instead of in line with Occupation

Thank you very much. Works a treat.

David