* Catholic nuns

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Darryl-W
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Catholic nuns

Post by Darryl-W » 03 Nov 2019 02:26

I have a female born as "Mary JONES' but later entered religious orders and became Sister Bernadette and Died and buried under her "nun "name -
Is she stored as Mary JONES or SR Bernadette or do we assign her religious name as "nick name"

gwilym'smum
Famous

Re: Catholic nuns

Post by gwilym'smum » 03 Nov 2019 07:57

Hi
I think "nick name" is rather disrespectful but there is the option to enter "Also known as" by the name. She needs to keep the name she was born with as that is who she was. Then she was "known as" in her later life.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families

dewilkinson
Famous

Post by dewilkinson » 03 Nov 2019 10:03

I agree that nickname is the wrong choice, I would enter Sister Bernadette as an Alternative Name. I believe people should be recorded by their birth name then if the name changes that becomes an Alternative Name, I reserve Known As for such as "John George X" always appearing as "George X".

Hope that helps.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane » 03 Nov 2019 10:50

I would also tend to add a Fact (possibly under occupation) to say that she became a Nun and took on the name of Sister Bernadette. That way anyone reviewing your information can see exactly when the name changed.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 03 Nov 2019 11:36

An alternative Fact to Occupation might be Title where Sister Bernadette can be explicitly entered.
See Knowledge Base > How to Handle People With Multiple Names for further ideas.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry