* Display relatives of indirect spouse

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
LizJ
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Display relatives of indirect spouse

Post by LizJ »

Hi
I have created a project using Family Historian (v6.2) to input all the ancestors using add parent/child as appropriate.
I can create an all relatives diagram showing a, b, c, d, e & spouse f and another similar diagram showing j, i, h, g, f & spouse e.
What I want to be able to display in a single tree is both ancestral lines with the married couple e & f joining the tree in the middle in order to show the relationship between a and j for example.
Is it possible to do this as I can't trace how to do so?
Attachments
Ancestor diagram
Ancestor diagram
FUG Question.jpg (19.08 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Display relatives of indirect spouse

Post by tatewise »

Yes, when you joined we suggested you study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers where one of the topics is Diagram Root Couples that leads to how_to:view_both_spouses_ancestors|> View Both Spouses’ Ancestors which explains several methods for displaying all relatives of both spouses.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

But if you want a diagram that will show the relationship between "a" and "j", a diagram showing ancestors of "e" and "f" won't do it?

I tend to create a diagram for say "family "c" and then by right clicking in the diagram use "Insert into diagram" to bring in the tree for "h". Then I prune the second tree to for instance avoid showing the descendants of "e" and "f" twice. Then you use the move icon to move one tree so that the two instances of "e" and "f" overlap. Takes a bit of juggling but achieves the required result.

It would be nice to see an enhancement so that once you had overlapped the duplicate "e" and "f" couples you could "lock" them together. Suspect that would be a nightmare to program!
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

davidf wrote: 17 Sep 2019 15:02 But if you want a diagram that will show the relationship between "a" and "j", a diagram showing ancestors of "e" and "f" won't do it?
But an All Relatives diagram with the couple e and f as diagram root will do it.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, the OP is talking about All Relatives Diagrams that she mentions in her posting.

So davidf, in this case, if you use the both spouses approach there is no need to 'lock' boxes together.
However, there are other circumstances where locking separate trees together would be extremely useful, and the locking feature already exits for other diagram components such as lines and rectangles, so it should not be too difficult.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry