* Hiding private notes in a report

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Hiding private notes in a report

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 13 Jul 2019 07:38

I'm experimenting with the Individual Summary Report for Web and including Notes in the Main Section:
Screenshot 2019-07-13 08.34.49.png
Screenshot 2019-07-13 08.34.49.png (38.11 KiB) Viewed 355 times
This individual has three notes (two local, one shared, the entire contents of which are included in [[]] privacy markers.
Screenshot 2019-07-13 08.36.35.png
Screenshot 2019-07-13 08.36.35.png (78.06 KiB) Viewed 355 times
Even though the text of the notes is private, and the report option specify that NOtes should be hidden if empty, the Label is shown.

Is this expected behaviour?

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Hiding private notes in a report

Post by tatewise » 13 Jul 2019 09:11

With the settings chosen, the first thing to recognise is that Record Notes will be shown in two positions.
  1. Near the top in Main Section Items labelled Note n: due to Notes Show being selected (default is Notes Hide).
  2. Near the end just before Sources labelled Individual Note n due to the Individual Record Notes tick option.
In the Main Section Items settings you can also Add a custom entry for Note 1 using %INDI.NOTE2[1]% and repeat that for each instance. Similarly for Note 1 (shared) using %INDI.NOTE[1]>% et seq.

All except the case 1. above honour the Inc. [[private]] Notes tick option.
That option is also honoured by Address fields with [[private]] parts.

It appears that the same symptoms also apply to other reports such as the Family Group Sheet.

I agree that including the label in case 1. when there is no text outside the [[private]] parts is both unexpected and inconsistent compared to the other two modes of including Notes, and should be reported to Calico Pie as a problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 13 Jul 2019 09:18

I'll log a bug report.

Just my luck...

I want the Notes in the Main section -- makes more sense to me because e.g. I use them for a potted biography (I'd rather craft that myself than use the narrative options, which are too stilted/too much work to sort). Which looks silly if it's put in at the bottom.

And I can't predict how many Notes I'll have so the custom item doesn't suit either.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 13 Jul 2019 09:22

The custom item will work because the Show if not empty mode will result in only those with text showing.
You just have to ensure you have customised for enough instances for the maximum expected.
The higher numbered instances that do not exist for particular Individuals will not even be labelled.

You can even customise the Label to suit your biography text.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl » 13 Jul 2019 09:27

Mike,
You just have to ensure you have customised for enough instances.
Fair enough if there are just a few notes to show...