* DNA Lists Helper

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

DNA Lists Helper

Post by Jane »

I have written a small plugin which can produce lists to help with MtDNA and Y Chromosome work (it checks and excludes Fostered and Adopted lines).
You first select a root person and then pick from the 4 options.
  • Maternal Line - Simply lists the direct Female line
  • MtDNA - goes to the top of the Maternal Line from the selected person and then lists all female descendants and first generation Males (who will have the same MtDNA)
  • Paternal Line - Lists the direct Male Line including the root person
  • Y Chromosome - goes to the top of the Paternal Line from the selected person and then lists all male descendants
The matching people are output as a result set so the tools under the Options (Gear) icon can be used to set a flag or save them to a named list for use to highlight diagrams or other uses.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Jane
Site Admin

Re: DNA Lists Helper

Post by Jane »

Just added X-DNA for Ancestors
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
davidf
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by davidf »

Thanks, combined with flags or named lists that should do exactly what I want!

however!

In my main FT file, I am the root and it contains my genetic paternal line and my mother's adoptive line (i.e. the "public family"). My mother is marked as adopted in the relationship field in the "family as child field".

Run the mtDNA option with me as the root, the result set
i) does not show my mother (who was genetically related to me) nor my brother (who is genetically related to me)
ii) does show her adoptive family (i.e. her adoptive mother's mtDNA relations - who she was not genetically related to)

Looking at my mother's genetic FT file, with me as the root, I get the expected results (with both my mother and my brother plus the expected relations)

I can only think that there is an anomaly in the handling of the adoptive flag when going up the tree?

The button to select mtDNA says "Mta DNA matches"; is this intentional?

It would be useful if the results query contained a generation column to enable an additional sort option?

Thanks
David
Running FH 6.2.7. Under Wine on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS + LXDE 11)
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Can you attach a small gedcom which demonstrates the problem please
Jane
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Also if you run the maternal line option does that show the adopted family as well
Jane
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

Jane wrote:Also if you run the maternal line option does that show the adopted family as well
Yes - but it also shows my mother
David
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

Temp-Export-2019-03-19.ged
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Jane wrote:Can you attach a small gedcom which demonstrates the problem please
David
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Dave in the export file your Mother only has one set of parents, so I am not seeing the problem, could you try an export again including both sets of parents.

I think I found the problem can you try this one please
DNA Lists Helper.fh_lua
(11.11 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Jane
davidf
Megastar

Post by davidf »

Jane wrote:Dave in the export file your Mother only has one set of parents, so I am not seeing the problem, could you try an export again including both sets of parents.
(Yes, I keep my mother's genetic family in a different file so that I do not accidentally share/upload - My mother's genetic maternal side knew her and in the last years knew who she was; Her genetic paternal side I think has no idea.)
Jane wrote: I think I found the problem can you try this one pleaseDNA Lists Helper.fh_lua
jane

Thanks, that now looks to be doing exactly what I expected
David
David