*ThruLines on Ancestry

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
gwilym'smum
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

ThruLines on Ancestry

Postby gwilym'smum » 03 Mar 2019 16:50

Ancestry have got a new feature on their DNA pages. On the page where it says view all your matches on the right is a box which leads you to ThruLines. It uses DNA results and member trees to lead you to your actual ancestor match. Yes, sounds good but there are caveats. The ancestors appear in date order from present to furthest back and when you click on it you are taken to the matches but unless you understand how they are showing this information you can be lulled into a false sense of security that this is a concrete match. There are dotted lines which indicate that the link is only via a member tree, only the solid lines are DNA matches. It can be confusing and does have to be unravelled.
Being cynical I think it is a way that Ancestry wants to get people to put their trees on the site and keep renewing. It is a good idea but mixing with member trees, of which I take with a pinch of salt until I have proved it, can lead to many errors being perpetuated. It took me several goes at sorting it out and probably am still missing things
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: ThruLines on Ancestry

Postby ColeValleyGirl » 03 Mar 2019 17:29

Garbage in garbage out.

As you say it depends on the quality of the trees other people publish.

So far, all the Thrulines I have got are rubbish (they relate to supposed ancestors that can be eliminated with some 'real but hard' investigation, not 'clickology'.

The same applies to myHeritage's Theories of Relativity.

I shall keep checking at intervals in case a shining gem appears... But mostly I will stick to tried and tested genealogical and DNA techniques.

gwilym'smum
Famous

Re: ThruLines on Ancestry

Postby gwilym'smum » 04 Mar 2019 07:32

Helen, as you say even basic research can give you the same results. I think the main thing is that if you don't understand what Ancestry is doing you could think that this is the easy way to "proved" results and will lead to even more trees with errors. I didn't follow at first I was taken in and it was only when I realized that a false link was included that I took another good look.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families

Return to “Research”