*Sources imported from TMG

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Sources imported from TMG

Postby E Wilcock » 14 Feb 2019 09:50

I am only now starting to work with my own family history research in fh.
I have been asked by another researcher, to examine the data in wide circulation on the net, based on my trees and report on how much is well sourced.

My sources arrived in TMG from Pedigree via Generations. They were copied from my father's handwritten files. I was ignorant of Mills style source types and eventually adopted the practice in TMG (suggested by an experienced user) of using a "simple source" source type copied from the book Template.
The result is that in reports most of my sources imported to fh now out put in quote marks. But I see the same is true for sources correctly identified as Census.
I dont really mind the quotes being there round the title if that is native to fh. (I assume every source has to have a title?) But if it is due to the format of my imported sources I would like to sort it out.

The next question involves use of source type and source entry in fh itself. The fh source list makes it very easy to tidy sources. So I could now begin to use source types myself. How do people use source types?
I have tended to click on New source on the data entry screen and just fill in just a title so many of my fh sources lack source type.
However the drop down list of source types show a range of imported custom source types including a couple that are not source types at all, but are sources.

Before I add source types and decide which source types to use, please could someone tell me what, if anything, is the significance of source types in fh? Does the source type, once entered determine the fields that are there for that source? And are those templates based on the Mills sources which have been mentioned in another thread?

It is not my intention to bring my source output to a professional genealogical standard but I am used to giving exact sources for historical research and think this is something worth doing. So any comments and suggestion on how to use fh sources would be welcome.

Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Sources imported from TMG

Postby Jane » 14 Feb 2019 10:47

Have you looked through the settings for the report options on the Source tab, do you have Title . . . In Quotes ticked?

The dropdown list for types is populated from the ones you have used.

Personally as I split my Sources I use the Source type to ID the group of the source.
e.g
1881 UK Census
Birth Certificate
Death Certificate
etc

The type is purely for your own use it does not control anything.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Postby tatewise » 14 Feb 2019 11:02

The punctuation and layout of Sources in Reports has a predetermined format and mostly cannot be customised.
All you can customise is which fields to include and exclude, and whether the Title is ... in "quotes".
The Publication Information is always enclosed in (round brackets).
Some fields are prefixed by a label, e.g. Cit. Date: or Assessment: or Text From Source: or Custom Id:.
All fields are terminated with either a , comma or a . full-stop.

As Jane says the Source Type is purely to help you find and sort Source records. (It is not a standard GEDCOM field.)
The drop-list is compiled from the Type field values in all your Source records, as in Tools > Work with Data.
It has no effect on Source fields, format or style. All Sources are identical as fas as that goes.
There are no Templates as in TMG. There is no way to mimic Mills style.

To help use a consistent style for the most common Source documents, many users employ Ancestral Sources.
That has built in default Source Types for Census, Birth, Baptism, Marriage, Death & Burial but can be customised.

Tip:
I find the Text From Source presentation in Reports is neater is the field starts with a blank line, so that the text itself always starts on a new line after the Text From Source: label.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Postby E Wilcock » 14 Feb 2019 11:31

Thank you both very much.

Now I understand the position in fh, I will simply remove the quotes in the Report option and go on as before. I will not trouble to add source types where they are lacking. The book type format I use outputs well for academic work.

Jane - Thank you. Good idea.

Return to “Importing and Exporting”