*Converting Sources: Method 2 to Method 1

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
gsward
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Converting Sources: Method 2 to Method 1

Postby gsward » 12 Jan 2019 17:20

My specific case is that I have some census sources that have been created using Method 2 ("lumped") that I had created in a previous program that I used (Genbox), and before I knew better. I have ignored them for a long time, but would now really like to tidy them up. The original sources do not have any attached media.

This question has come up from time to time and there are a number of threads that offer partial solutions.

Using Excel VBA to convert from lumped to split sources (15390)
Sorting Source Citations (15939)

Has anyone come up with a useful strategy for this apart from creating new Method 1 sources in AS and finally deleting the original source?

Graham

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Converting Sources: Method 2 to Method 1

Postby tatewise » 12 Jan 2019 18:42

There is not much point in converting from Method 2 to Method 1 unless in doing so you add transcript Text From Source and a Media census image in the process. Also each Method 1 source must be cited by the Individual records of the people in the same Census household, and that cannot be automated from the Method 2 sources.

So the only worthwhile technique is to use AS and finally delete the Method 2 source.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

Mark1834
Diamond

Postby Mark1834 » 13 Jan 2019 10:41

The Excel routines were useful for tidying and converting my own tree, which was originally developed in Family Tree Maker, which has a more traditional "database" approach that doesn't work well in FH due to fundamental limitations of GEDCOM. It was based on older routines that I used with FTM to produce more detailed custom reports that were not available in that package.

I am now about to start a similar process for my wife's tree, and I will use the experience gained in processing FH data for Ancestry import to replace the Excel routines with similar ones written in Python. They should have the advantage of being much simpler to code, and avoid the occasional problems within Excel of corruption between what is text and what is number format. They also have another significant advantage of being more portable, working on any system without needing additional commercial software.

Regarding Ancestral Sources, I realise this is probably a minority view on this Forum, but I prefer to enter data manually and copy events and sources using the routines within FH rather than going through AS. I limit the events I create from each source, for example capturing residence and occupation from Census returns or Parish Registers in the transcript rather than as separate events. If you prefer to record everything as an event, AS would be the way to go. As ever, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do things - it is what works for you in terms of what you want to achieve as your end result.
Mark Draper

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 13 Jan 2019 14:18

On a point of clarity, as a general rule AS does not create Residence facts, at least not from Census records.
AS also does not necessary create Occupation facts.
Yes, the default configuration does encourage that, but it is perfectly feasible to adjust AS so it does not.
The easiest method is to simply not fill in the Occupation (or Residence) fields in the green forms, but just add those details to the Auto Text pane below, which ends up in the Text From Source field of the Source record.
I also recognise that some users prefer to use just the features of FH.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

Return to “General Usage”