* Merging Ancestry tree into my FH tree

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Bohemani
Family Historian: V6.2

Merging Ancestry tree into my FH tree

Post by Bohemani »

I created my tree in FH and copied the GEDCOM file over to create an Ancestry.co.uk tree so as to take advantage of hints etc. I now have numerous in my Ancestry tree which I don't have in my FH tree. Can I merge these in FH to make one master tree?
Many thanks
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Merging A vestry tree into my FH tree

Post by Jane »

Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Bohemani

Re: Merging A vestry tree into my FH tree

Post by Bohemani »

Thank you, Jane. Fortunately there isn't a huge amount of data to be moved and so I think I'll use FH from now on and then download to Ancestry.
Mike
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Merging Ancestry tree into my FH tree

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is the recommended tactic.
I suggest you use the Export Gedcom File Plugin and choose the (ANC) Ancestry option to upload to Ancestry.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Bohemani

Post by Bohemani »

Great. Many thanks for your help.
Mark1834
Megastar

Post by Mark1834 »

Remember though that every time you create an updated import to Ancestry, it regards it as a new tree, so all your old hints come back again. To avoid this, you have to either keep Ancestry updated in parallel (a pain) or explore the rather convoluted options of merging records via RootsMagic. Unfortunately there is no easy option for keeping FH and Ancestry synchronised automatically.
Mark Draper
Bohemani

Post by Bohemani »

Thanks, Mark

The answer might be to make an entry in FH and then immediately repeat it in Ancestry. This doesn't happen too often so it shouldn't take ages to do. I'll just have to remember to do it religiously each time!

These things are sent to try us!!