* Deleting a duff query

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
phende
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Deleting a duff query

Post by phende »

Some time ago I created a custon query (How_related, note the underscore), possibly by modifying sombody else's. For some time now, possibly after an upgrade, FH started telling me that it was not a standard FH file. I then loaded the "How Related" query from the knowledge base which, of course, works fine, but my illicit one still appears in my list of queries. I could not delete it by using the Query pull-down menu, I think because FH had refused to load it. I've left it like that for some time. Today, I thought I'd be clever and went to the Queries files in ProgramData and manually deleted the duff file, or so I thought. It is, however, still in my list of queries and now when I try to use it FH says "Invalid data in query - cannot load". How can I get rid of this, please?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Deleting a duff query

Post by tatewise »

The conventional way is to use how_to:delete_custom_diagram_fact_set_query_report#delete_a_query|> Delete a Query.

But you say neither of those techniques work. Have you tried them both?

Ensure FH is NOT running BEFORE deleting from C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Queries\Custom\ folder.

If FH shows your Custom Query in its drop-list, then the associated fhq file must still exist in that Custom folder.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
phende
Platinum

Post by phende »

Thank you, Mike. I must improve my searching of the Knowledge Base as that link didn't turn up. Delete didn't work from the Query window as FH would not load the file. I didn't know about the View menu link, but that worked. You are probably right about my attempt to delete the file. FH was open at the time. (Though it seemed to delete from the folder and Windows did not complain about it being open.)

Peter
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Peter,
The symptoms illustrates that perhaps FH checks the contents of that folder at startup, and not when you want to run a query. Try re-starting FH after you deleted the file.

I see this quite a lot in programmes. e.g. If you add a printer or memory stick whilst a programme is running, it won’t necessarily know it’s there, because it did the check at startup. Restart the programme et voila, the printer or memory stick is there.

Just a thought
:D
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com