* Back up and Restore

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Back up and Restore

Post by janefrances »

I'm in the process of transferring FH from my old Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 and using the plug in to do this, I am a bit confused by the options given. I don't want to keep any of the old files so would the Keep new backup data file be the one to pick? Many thanks.
Attachments
Family Historian settings.JPG
Family Historian settings.JPG (104.1 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Back up and Restore

Post by tatewise »

Usually I would have said yes just Keep New Backup Data File.

But the circumstances here are rather unusual, so I don't want to give potentially unreliable advice.
The Standard All Facts Query cannot be customised and should always retain its original date.
So how can the Program Data File and Backup Data File have different modification date-time stamps?

Just to be sure, your screenshot is showing the Backup mode on the old Windows 7 PC?

When did you previously use this Plugin to Backup your settings?

What is the brief history of FH installation updates and Plugin Backups or anything else that might throw any light on the two dates 17/12/2015 and 01/11/2017.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
janefrances
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by janefrances »

Yes, the screenshot is taken from my Windows 7 laptop.
The only thing that I can think of is that I upgraded from version 2 on CD and then from this to FH 4 in 2009 then FH 6 in 2015. I've only ever used the Plug in twice, as before this I didn't realise that I had to back up customised facts seperately as I found out in 2017. Many thanks
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

After a little experimentation I have solved the mystery, because I found similar date discrepancies between Program Files (x86) installation files, the ProgramData files, and Backup copies.

Although the Standard Queries disallow most customisations, their Result Set column widths can be adjusted, and are saved. That process alters the Modification Date on the Query file in the ProgramData folder.

So on 01/11/2017 your All Facts query had its Result Set column widths changed and saved.
Subsequently, the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin backed-up that change and its date.

In January 2018 you would have upgraded to FH V6.2.6 and that has re-installed the original All Facts query, dated 17/12/2015, which agrees with my installation copy of that query.

So whether you Copy Old Program Data File or Keep New Backup Data File depends on whether you want the old master installation version or the new column width adjusted version, but the choice is not critical.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry