*Searching for individuals with multiple facts on the same date (and other sanity checks on sort dates)

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Searching for individuals with multiple facts on the same date (and other sanity checks on sort dates)

Postby ColeValleyGirl » 09 Mar 2018 14:27

Does anyone have any thoughts about how to search for individuals with facts on the same date?

I can run a variant of All Facts query and sort by person and then date, but that throws up a lot of facts for which there are no duplicated dates by individual. Any ideas how to construct a quest that only includes the duplicate date for each individual, and doesn't include the individual if there are no duplicated dates?

Before Mike asks, what I want to do is order the facts created by Ancestral Sources to always have the same order for the same event type. (I know the Order Facts by Sort Date plugin will assign Sort dates, and this is great once I have the events in the order I want but doesn't help if the events are out of my preferred order in the first place). There's no option in AS to force a particular order, and I very much doubt everyone will share the same preferred order, so changing the plugin is not a good use of Mike's time, so I suspect I will need to make a regular check for issues and fix them manually, but want to make them as easy as possible to spot.

For example, I want to achieve these orders (the most significant ones I want to handle)

* Occupation -> Census for census events
* Occupation -> Residence -> Death -> Burial for death/burial sequence of facts
* Birth -> Residence -> Baptism for birth/baptism events
* Occupation -> Residence -> Marriage for marriage facts

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Searching for individuals with multiple facts on the same date

Postby tatewise » 09 Mar 2018 16:34

I don't think you can do it very easily with a Fact Query (or any other type of Query).
The problem is that the Rows filter works on one Fact at a time.
So to find the simple case of Occupation and Census with same date, needs a filter that only works on Census Events, looks up the Owner record and their Occupation with index [year=1234] where 1234 is the Census Year and compares the Date on the two facts.
It gets even trickier with three facts, although you might be able to do them in pairs.
The complication is the multi-instance facts such as Occupation and Residence where even the [year=1234] index may not find the correct one.
Marriage Events are particularly tricky as they are Family facts

A Plugin is much easier and a good starting point would be the Find Duplicate Citations Plugin.
But instead of searching for duplicate Citations on one Fact, yours would search for Facts with the same Date in one Record. Although Marriage Events will need special attention.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Postby ColeValleyGirl » 09 Mar 2018 17:44

Yes, I'd come to that conclusion about queries -- I'll add the plugin to my list of somedays.

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 09 Mar 2018 19:15

Try this one...
Attachments
Find Facts with Same Date.fh_lua
(3.7 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Postby ColeValleyGirl » 09 Mar 2018 19:38

You're spoiling me, Mike. But while we're here.... can the result set include the Sort Date if any?

I've run a test and it's throwing up the facts I would expect to see and only the duplicate facts for the same individual, which is a great help when half my tree seems to be made of of different individuals with the same name living in overlapping time periods. 4 first-cousins called John John with a grandfather called John John, Anyone?

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 09 Mar 2018 20:08

Try this one, that adds Sort date and makes it clear that Marriage facts for example are Family facts.

BTW: It excludes facts with no date, but they could be included.

Since you generally know what order you want such facts to appear, at least relative to the key events such as Birth, Marriage, Census, and Death, then this Plugin could move the facts without a Sort Date into that desired order, so that the Order Facts by Sort Dates Plugin assigns the Sort Dates appropriately with little or no adjustment by you.
Attachments
Find Facts with Same Date.fh_lua
(4.08 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Postby ColeValleyGirl » 10 Mar 2018 10:46

Mike, thanks -- that's even better.

Re facts with a blank date (although I don't tend to have any) I wonder if including them would make it more useful for other people who want to check the sort dates they've created themselves? (I think blank dates and duplicate dates are the key drivers for needing sort dates -- that plus importing accurately from programmes that already have them, where they're already presumably correct?)

The automatic sorting is tempting (Occupation -> Residence -> Event) but might make it less generally useful.

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 10 Mar 2018 11:45

Including blank dates is easy, and it could be a user option.

Sorting facts could be achieved via a user interface Fact Precedence dialogue.
The user could set a list of Facts into Precedence order for the Plugin to enforce.
They would simply be shifted up and down the list, and remembered from one run to the next.
It might be possible to let the user add/remove any Facts they like to/from the list.

In your case the Fact Precedence list would look like:
Birth > Occupation > Residence > Baptism > Christening > Census > Marriage > Divorce > Death > Cremation > Burial
Any facts with the same Date would be sorted into that order.

It satisfies your earlier precedence rules for:
* Birth > Residence > Baptism
* Occupation > Census
* Occupation > Residence > Marriage
* Occupation > Residence > Death > Burial

ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Postby ColeValleyGirl » 10 Mar 2018 12:01

Mike,

making aspects optional/configurable would be excellent if you have the time to do it -- I'm always wary of making things too specific and thus less widely useful.

Helen

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 10 Mar 2018 12:36

Adding a user interface won't happen as quickly, because it takes much more effort than the underlying filter algorithm.
But leave it with me, and also let others perhaps contribute to this thread, to see if there are other view points.
I too try to produce generically useful tools rather than very specific ones.

Return to “General Usage”