*Index out of sorts (lol)

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Ron Melby
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Index out of sorts (lol)

Postby Ron Melby » 12 Feb 2018 12:18

For the last two days, pretty solidly heads down, I have been changing my Living /Olson/ and the like to first names so it ends up on the order of-- Fred G. /Olson/ (I got a gedcom that was more developed than mine from a cuz). I have added a record or two, included a date or two, but only a handful. The bulk of the work was fixing names. I would say for renames, I may have done a thousand.

I also have many situations where I will have a Mary /{?Olson}/ and so on.

The individual records view, will not sort correctly, that is, alphabetically by last name (the default] I have no special filters, or anything. Some of the records that show first have been in there quite a while and were not changed. My son in law for an example which has been in there two years, and has not had any change whatsoever for at least a year, comes up first. UDFs are as expected (PHON, MDCL, EMAIL) Validators complain about the usual stuff that I have been seeing for years, nothing new there. Ran the file validate in FH and nothing there.

I have done an export and import without change observed. Has anyone had the experience and how can I correct it?

*******OH DEAR, NEVER MIND. I will leave this here as a testament to my incompetence. Solved --- Kind of
Win 7 64 bit. FH V.6.2.6

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Index out of sorts (lol)

Postby tatewise » 12 Feb 2018 12:24

Records Window tabs remember the last sorted order you used.
So have you tried clicking the Individual Records heading to sort into record order by surname?
Also ensure only surnames are enclosed within slashes / and not the forenames.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

Ron Melby
Famous

Postby Ron Melby » 12 Feb 2018 13:57

thats how I got out of it, but do not recall hitting any other sort column. One of those.............I did A LOT of work, and man if this is messed up...although I cannot conceive of a sort order that would have brought that up, two big things that have come up however, it would be nice to move families as a block, I want-- this.wife and this.family with this.husband not that.husband-- and a really smart merge function that is user friendly like Ancestral Quest.

I think although I am unsure that I have found an error; when in the place field, and edit or select, it does not always respect a leading blank. That is,
^, Mazeppa, Wabasha, MN, USA
may sift out to
, Mazeppa, Wabasha, MN, USA

I have spent weeks fixing and organizing my PLAC and ADDR fields such that, I rarely need to type in the entire field before it autofills correctly. and I have to go into my editor later to move in leading blanks. I know something is wrong because I have over 300 of those Mazeppa places in my file, so I am absolutely sure they were autofilled. Now that some heavy heads down was accomplished, I will see if I can recreate this somehow so I can explain the thing correctly on the ticket, unless one has been created. Is there a place to look up all the bugs and tickets?
Win 7 64 bit. FH V.6.2.6

Jane
Site Admin

Postby Jane » 12 Feb 2018 14:23

> it would be nice to move families as a block, I want-- this.wife and this.family with this.husband not that.husband

That's easy, go to the Wife's Focus window and right click on the Husband and click Unlink. Then add the correct husband.

See Knowledge Base > Changing Relations

Why do you want leading blanks on a place or address field? If you use the Address/Place tools you should be able to do them all in one go if they are all the same.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Ron Melby
Famous

Postby Ron Melby » 15 Feb 2018 02:02

in a way, but when I have duplicates husband and wife, no matter which one I select, AND DELETE(understand this is different) because I have to get rid of it, or them the FH loses its mind and goes back to root. I am not real fired up about remembering all that and try to find it again in a move one out and move one in. Very little in this software acts in obvious, intuitive and trustworthy fashion in my experience so far.
Win 7 64 bit. FH V.6.2.6

Gowermick
Megastar

Postby Gowermick » 15 Feb 2018 06:26

Ron,
One method I use to stop it returning to root, is to temporarily change the root (in your case make the wife the root), before you delete the husband. This will make it return to the wife after deleting the husband.
Put the wife in focus, right click on her in the focus window and select make file root.
You can always go back to your original root person, once you’ve finished with this family.

I often change root person when working on a distant branch to simplify navigation. When I lose track of where I’ve go to, I just click the home button to take me back to my new root person. This method also helps in navigating the distant branch, as FH reports how person in focus is related to the (new) root.
Mike Loney

Using FH 6.2.7, with CC 6.7.37 Windows 10.0.14393 Build14393, LibreOffice 6.0.5(x64), Firefox 61.0.1(64Bit) & Thunderbird 52.9.1
Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com

Return to “General Usage”