* Custom Queries - Extracting Row and Column Expressions

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Gary Carson
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Custom Queries - Extracting Row and Column Expressions

Post by Gary Carson »

Having a large number of custom queries from which I would like to extract the row and column expressions to create a catalog expressions and filters. Is this possible without going into each query and copying the expressions to an external list.
Gary
Win 10, FH 7.0.15
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Custom Queries - Extracting Row and Column Expressions

Post by tatewise »

The only other option would be to use File > Import/Export > Export > Query and select each one in turn.
Then you can use a plain text editor to copy and paste the expressions from the saved .fhq files.

But remember that sometimes the Rows filter expressions only work in combination with each other.
Also the expressions are usually only valid for one Query Type, i.e. Individual or Fact, etc.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
jimlad68
Megastar

Re: Custom Queries - Extracting Row and Column Expressions

Post by jimlad68 »

If you have notepad++ (or similar text editor)
in File explorer right click on A COPY of the query folder which for me it is:
C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Queries
Then Open with and then find notepad++. You may need to open the folders custom and standard, select those you want. I have notepad++ set in the explorer 'send to' option so that it is just 1 operation.

They should all open in notepad++. Seemes a lot of files but they are mostly small.

Then do find all in ALL opened documents and search for TAG=

Then select all the results (bottom windows R mouse) > copy > open a new document > paste > save.

For me I just use windows search for whatever I am interested in on the whole queries folder C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Queries (narrow to sub folders custom or standard if you wish), then open each 'potential' file with a text viewer (or editor if you are careful). Thinking about it again, I think using the method above sending all files to notepad++ might be a 'more quickly fruitful' search.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68