* Transferring a GEDCOM from FH6 to TNG

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
JohnBradburn
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Transferring a GEDCOM from FH6 to TNG

Post by JohnBradburn »

I am a Guild of One-name Studies member, setting up my Goons website, which involves transferring a GEDCOM from FH6 to TNG. I have read everything I can find on the FHUG Wiki and on TNG and I have run the FH6 File>Validate (All OK) and Tools>Uncategorised Data> Find U D (This found 33 instances where a child had _FREL = natural, but I am not concerned about this).
I used the Export Gedcom File Plugin version 3.3 with "Export Mode" set to "TNG" and FTPed the GEDCOM to the Goons FTP server and from there imported the file into TNG using its "Import/Export" facility.
All of the 5042 people in my FH6 database were successfully transferred, but significant amounts of relevant data were not. In TNG there is now a "Custom Event Types" table which I think may be the clue as to what has gone wrong as it shows 13 Event Types which are labelled "On Import: Ignore". These are BAPM, BIRT, BURI, CENS , DEAT, EVEN, MARR, NAME, OCCU, REFN, RELI, RESI, and WILL.
Can someone advise me what I need to do (in fairly layman's terms please) in order to get all my relevant data into TNG.
(I have tried to add a .png file of the 13 Event Types box here, but without success so far as copy and paste doesn't seem to work.)

Do these missing Event Types need to be added to the list in the "Export GEDCOM Plugin" so they can be correctly translated into TNG events?
I am afraid that there is another issue with the transfer to TNG, as many of the people transferred have huge lists of Named List members included in their notes and what real Notes exist are buried at the ends of these long lists. I have used a named list called "Bradburns" (with 3754 members) in FH6 to link all the variant spellings I have found in the Parish Register era so I can have a query which covers all those I consider to be proper Bradburns, however they are spelled. I don't need this Named List in TNG as I don't think it can be used there to run queries.
Apologies for the long request for assistance but I am determined to get my Goons website working properly.
John Bradburn.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Transferring a GEDCOM from FH6 to TNG

Post by tatewise »

Hi John, I am the Plugin author, but do not subscribe to TNG, so you may get extra advice form the many users who have trodden that FH V6 to TNG route.

First of all checkout the Plugin Help & Advice at plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:tng_the_next_generation|> Export Gedcom File ~ (TNG) The Next Generation.
That provides Import Details for TNG settings based on user feedback.

I am a bit surprised the Custom Event Types are set to ignore the standard events you mentioned.
Perhaps the TNG users can give a suitable explanation and workaround that must be applied to TNG not the Plugin.

As explained in plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:std_standard_gedcom_5.5|> Export Gedcom File ~ (Std) Standard Gedcom 5.5 each Named List is converted to a synthesised Note Record for all target products, as Named Lists use a custom GEDCOM structure unique to FH.
I am not sure I understand what you mean by "huge lists of Named List members included in their notes".

You cannot Copy & Paste images into postings. See info:forums|> Forums Usage Tips.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
paultt
Famous

Post by paultt »

John,
I have been using the FH and TNG combo for many years, and use Mike's Export Plugin to assist. First thing I do after making backup in FH, is to load the renamed backup.ged file into FH and then run the Split Tree Helper. You can choose to ONLY delete the Named lists there, but can also be very selective in what you want to output. When Split Tree has finished, I then go into Export Gedcom 3.3 and run that with my options. The resultant gedcom_ISO.ged is what I import into TNG. On the TNG Gedcom import there is an option to Import Custom Event Types only. Run that option. Then you need to select the Custom Event Types under admin and check the On Import column and if necessary, change them to Accept. Once that has been done, rerun the Import with the Accept data for all new Custom Event types. I always check the Replace All current data.
if you would prefer, you can contact me directly on paul_at_1820settlers_dot_com
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have a few comments on Paul's strategy.

Rather than use File > Backup/Restore > Small Backup and load a renamed GEDCOM file, I would advise using File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File with a new name and load that. Using that method allows many selective export options without needing to use File > Split Tree Helper (although that does offer some extra options). See how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media especially under Export to Website Without Sensitive Data.

If you wish to exclude all Named Lists, then the Export Gedcom File Plugin has an option for that.
Use its Extra Options tab Named List Entry 1 _LIST: set to Remove entirely.
So there is no need to use the Split Tree Helper for that.

Paul still appears to be using the (ISO) ISO-8859-1 old TNG character set.
Whereas the current TNG default is (UTF8) UTF-8 with Byte Order Mark that supports all Unicode characters.

I agree with Paul's advice about the TNG Custom Event Types settings.

No mention is made of Media images by either John or Paul ~ are they important?
JohnBradburn
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by JohnBradburn »

Many thanks to Mike and Paul for your helpful comments. I have now set "Custom Event Types" to "accept" in TNG and they all appear to have been imported successfully. What had misled me is that the TNG search function returns a list with a column headed "Birth/Christening" and none of my Parish record "Baptism" info was showing up there. It does seem to me, Mike, that the "Custom Event Types" is set to "On Import : Ignore" as a default - it certainly was in my installation of TNG.
Again, I hadn't looked deeply enough to see that there is an option under "Extra Options" in the "Export Gedcom File" plugin to set "Named List Entry 1" to "Remove Entirely", so thanks for pointing this out to me. I had some 4000 Named List entries attached to each person in my TNG database! Now I can move ahead with the TNG part of my Guild Website.
I am new to TNG, but from what I have seen so far, I am very happy to have the flexibility of Family Historian as my main database.
I didn't ask about media as I don't yet have any at all on my FH6 database. I will have a good number of documents and spreadsheets/ pdfs to attach to the WordPress part of my Guild website, but that is another challenge for the future.
I have been making a Copy of my main Project, rather than a Backup, to use as the basis for my Gedcoms. Is this not good practice?
Regards, John.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Regarding the use of your FH full main Project for TNG, you need to consider who is in your database.
Your FH Project is private to your PC, whereas the TNG Project is online and may be viewed by anyone.
There are matters of privacy, especially for living persons, and copyright for Media images (when you get there).
However, I believe you can protect TNG access with username & password security.

What do other TNG users advise?
paultt
Famous

Post by paultt »

John, Mike,
I have set the Private flag in FH for those whom I do not want to export to TNG, and use a Query to list them, so that in Split Tree Helper I check 'Delete All individuals FOUND by the query' and then under Other Records toggle each selection to read Delete records with no links left to them, which seems to do the job of not keeping anything affected by the Private Flag deletions.
TNG has its own parameters for defining potential living persons and option whether to show the living data or not depending on user rights. Visitors to my site do not have to login, so don't see living data, and I am selective in my registered users whether they can or not.
My use of the ISO-8559-1 character set is purely historical from when I first started using TNG about 13 years ago! I will test and see what happens if I change to UTF8 on my 'sandbox' test bed.

rgds

Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You can use the same Query technique in File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File and save a process step.

TNG changed its default from ISO to UTF-8 a few years ago.