* 'Out of Memory' when adding photo's.

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Grampy34
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

'Out of Memory' when adding photo's.

Post by Grampy34 » 22 Jun 2017 20:19

I've been transferring photo's from another program to each member of my Tree. Some of these photo's are scanned text images.
I am now being informed 'Out of Memory' when I attempt to add another item.
I'm using FH v6.2 with Windows 7.
Can anyone advise an old stager please? (simple remedies only please - if possible)
Grampy34

tatewise
Megastar

Re: 'Out of Memory' when adding photo's.

Post by tatewise » 22 Jun 2017 21:53

Firstly, you are not alone in getting that Out of Memory error.
See Out of memory warnings with 2 projects open (15018) and Unable to load object (14473).

There are suggestions that it is related to the Thumbcache.dat file &/or the Pagefile and I will give advice about them later.

Please report the problem to Calico Pie using the Knowledge Base > Problem Reporting advice.

Does the Out of Memory error go away if you close and re-open FH and then add the new image?

Thumbcache.dat
This is a cache of image thumbnails to speed up their display, but is not actually required at all, so can be eliminated.
Try switching off the thumbnail cache in FH by using Tools > Preferences > General tab, Advanced... button at bottom, and set Thumbnail Images: to Load When Needed.
Then delete the Thumbcache.dat file, which if your Project name is Grampy34 will be found at :-
My Documents\Family Historian Projects\Grampy34\Grampy34.fh_data\Cache\Thumbcache.dat

Pagefile
The Pagefile lets memory increase beyond the fitted RAM, but its size sets limits that can cause Out of Memory error.
To increase the Pagefile file size in Windows 7 use Start > Control Panel > System.
Click Advanced system settings top left, and on Advanced tab Performance Settings.
In the Performance Options, on Advanced tab in Virtual Memory it tells you the paging file size.
To alter it click Change clear the Automatically manage... tick box, and set the Custom size.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Grampy34
Silver

Post by Grampy34 » 25 Jun 2017 15:36

Mike, Thank you for your very rapid and valuable assistance.
Your first suggested remedy re. closing and then re-opening FH seemed to work.
Actually I closed my computer down overnight and when I resumed working the next day everything seemed OK.
And it's still going well!! (that's asking for trouble, isn't it!)
I have your added suggestions close to hand - just in case.
Again, Many Thanks.
Grampy34

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 25 Jun 2017 15:58

On a different point, in your first posting you said "Some of these photo's are scanned text images."
I presume these are scanned documents such as Wills or other Source documents.

It is not usual practice to attach Source document images directly to Individual records as you implied.
That is typically reserved for their photos.
Usually for each Source document a new Source record should be created and the image attached there with a transcript, and then that Source record should be cited by each related Fact. Knowledge Base > Ancestral Sources helps do that.
e.g.
With a Census Source record it will be cited by the Census Event for each Individual mentioned in the Census household.

The above ideas are illustrated in the Family Historian Sample Project and are advised by topics in Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers that I suggested you study when you first posted New User problem with Merge. (14765).
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry