* Best way to record possible related information?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
RayS
Family Historian: V6.2

Best way to record possible related information?

Post by RayS » 20 Apr 2017 18:54

I am a new member of Family Historian & successfully transferred some old files from Family Tree 2006 which I had not looked at in recent years.

Today I did a Town search on the Internet using a town in Devon where a branch of my family came from in the Victorian period.
The Surname I was looking at is “Tepper” and several people with that name appear in a number of Pigot Directories & some official documents & church records for that town, going back a long time.

I believe they may prove to be related to my maternal Great Great Grandfather so I want to record their details in Family Historian without actually linking them to the GG Grandfather at this stage.

What is the best way to record this information in Family Historian now, so that I can incorporate it in the family tree if that indeed proves to be the case eventually?

Ray

Valkrider
Megastar

Re: Best way to record possible related information?

Post by Valkrider » 20 Apr 2017 19:04

Ray

There is no need to link any new record into your tree. Just go to Menu > Edit > Add new unrelated individual. Then at some stage in the future if you find they fit in to your tree just add them in as appropriate without re-entering them.

Take a look in the Knowledgebase at the new users info here.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 20 Apr 2017 21:40

As Colin says, you can have as many distinct Individuals or Family groups as you like that are unrelated to any other tree.

Also you can link them to possible relatives and record the credibility of the relationship.
However, FH does not do it as well as some other products.
See Knowledge Base > Recording Credibility of Family Relationships.

But if some of those tactics are a bit advanced just now, then follow up Colin's advice for a new user and spend some time discovering FH Features and return to this topic later.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Post by E Wilcock » 21 Apr 2017 08:24

The adding of possible relatives has been a problem in all Genealogy software.
I met it myself last November in my own very early days of using fh.

In family historian one can create lists - It is called a Named List. And one can use this Named List to hold the names of possible people to group them together. I called mine Candidate List.
If you go to the fh list of all people and highlight the name you have just added and click edit, then near the bottom of the list of options you will see the opportunity to add to a named list. Choose that and if you need a new list you can type the Name of a new list in at this point. For instance Smith Possible.
Using the fr record list of all people, you can then select as many people as you want (one can hold control to highlight more than one name), use the edit menu and add them to that list.
You can even sort the fh list of all people so that the people you have just entered are grouped together.

If it turns out later that you dont need these possible people, it is very easy to delete everyone on that list of Possibles. And even to delete the list itself. I used the list to go through those people's records in an archive. Once I had discovered the record I was in search of, I deleted the list (tho it still exists in my back ups from that time).

But one can make a new candidate list or research list in fh any time one wants.

It could be that there is a thread on this in which Mike and others told me how to do this?

When one comes new to a genealogy program it takes time to learn everything, but for me it was important to learn the things I really needed to do, at the time I needed them. So if you think a Named list might be useful, do try it.

RayS

Post by RayS » 22 Apr 2017 11:18

My thanks to Colin, Mike & Evelyn who have given me sound advice.

I have also now received the Book "Getting the Most from Family Historian 6" which I hope will be able to answer most of my future questions as they arise.

Ray

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 22 Apr 2017 11:28

That will be an excellent start, but it only introduces the essential features, and does not go into full details.
So don't overlook Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers and follow up its topics.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry