* Using Expressions to show Census Icons on Diagrams

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Sharon
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

Using Expressions to show Census Icons on Diagrams

Post by Sharon » 18 Feb 2016 20:30

Hi there.

I'm currently using FH V5.0.11 on Windows 10 and I'm in the process of changing from Flags to Expressions to display icons on my diagrams. I have already done expressions for all birth, baptism, marriages, death and burial but I've hit a problem with censuses.

Having had a few odd results, I've run a query to find where all my census entries are recorded and found them in 20 data reference fields, including arrays of individual census, multiple family as spouse and multiple family as child fields.

I made use of some examples I found in the knowledge base which return true if any Census Event has a Date in the specified year: eg -

%INDI.FAMC>CENS[year=1881]%
%INDI.FAMS[3]>CENS[year=1881]%
%INDI.FAMS[2]>CENS[year=1881]%
%INDI.FAMS>CENS[year=1881]%
%INDI.CENS[year=1881]%

I applied this to my diagram and found some boxes showed the icon twice, and some even showed it where I didn't have a census for an individual. . When I went back to check my Query I found that sometimes the census entry was duplicated, for instance being in %INDI.CENS% (Individual Census) and %INDI.FAMC>CENS% (Family as Child Census), even though on the Facts tab of the Individual Dialogue Box, only one line is shown for the census.

When I looked at an example where the expression was returning true even when I didn't have a census for that person for that year, the All tab of the Individual Dialog Box showed that the census entry was under the Parents Family section. It looks as though the expression picked this up even though his name was greyed out in that section and there is no census line for 1881 on the Facts tab.

I should point out that the Query I was running was just displaying all the census source fields I could find for every individual, so not quite the same as the Expressions but the results seem to cross reference ok.

So it looks to me as though my data needs tidying. It would be so much easier if all my census were just recorded in the Individual Census fields, and I won't be recording any family census in future, as it just seems to complicate the data.

In the meantime does anyone know whether it is possible change family census over to individual ones? I found two Plugins - Change any Fact Tab and Migrate Census Family to Individual Events - but the first doesn't seem relevant and the second isn't working.

For now I think I'll stick with Flags for my census icons.

Please let me know if I need to provide any more information.

Thank you.

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Using Expressions to show Census Icons on Diagrams

Post by tatewise » 18 Feb 2016 23:48

You are very wise to avoid using Census (family) Events because they are incompatible with AS and several Plugins and Reports.

INDI.FAMC>CENS refers to the Parent's Census (family) Events which explains why they do not appear in the Individual's Facts tab.

INDI.FAMS>CENS refers to the Spouse Census (family) Events which do appear in the Individual's Facts tab just like MARRiage Events.

The Migrate Census Family... Plugin should do the job. In what way is it not working?
It should produce a Result Set of the changes it makes.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Sharon
Platinum

Post by Sharon » 19 Feb 2016 09:40

Thank you Mike.

I've attached a screen shot of the error I get from the plugin. I'm afraid it means nothing to me.

Thank you for your help - you've given me good advice in the past, so I appreciate you helping me again.
Attachments
plugin error.JPG
plugin error.JPG (22.36 KiB) Viewed 1292 times

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by tatewise » 19 Feb 2016 11:10

Ah! :idea: That gave me the clues I needed. That version of the plugin only works with FH V6.

Try ATTACHMENTS Migrate Census Family to Individual Events Plugin Version 0.3 Date 19 Feb 2016 that works for both V5 and V6.

I advise you use File > Backup/Restore > Small Backup before running Plugin, just in case!

It reports how many Census (family) Events it migrates but does not list them all. Is that OK?

If when you inspect the outcome anything is unsatisfcatory then use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates before closing FH.

[EDIT: The ATTACHMENT has been deleted as Migrate Census Family to Individual Events V1.0 is now in the Plugin Store with minor improvements.]
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Sharon
Platinum

Post by Sharon » 19 Feb 2016 12:30

Thank you Mike, I'll give that a try later today let you know how I get on.

Many thanks,
Sharon

Sharon
Platinum

Post by Sharon » 19 Feb 2016 16:12

Hi Mike,

Just to let you know that worked a treat! Thank you very much. I now have only Individual Census Events, no duplicates and no data lost. Exactly what I wanted and so easy!

Thank you very, very much for your help. :D :D :D

Sharon.