* Merging 2 trees

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
mrsangry999
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Merging 2 trees

Post by mrsangry999 » 16 Sep 2015 14:56

After making Gedcom files from TMG I have just installed FH and I'm trying to merge 2 trees. There are only my husband and myself on both trees, but I can't work out what I'm supposed to do to merge them. I just go round and round. :(

I've tried it several times now and although he shows on both trees, when clicking on parents it shows my parents as his. I'm obviously not as bright as I used to be so can somone tell me simply what I am supposed to do please? :oops:

I would be so grateful.
Regards

rfj1001
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Merging 2 trees

Post by rfj1001 » 16 Sep 2015 15:49

I think the following should work :

1) Undo whatever you did so that your parents that currently show as his no longer show. (You may be able to use Edit/Undo in FH or, if that's greyed out, you may need to reimport your two gedcoms to a new FH file.)

2) Once you're sure your data is clean, go to either your record or your that of husband and then add Fact/Marriage : Other Spouse : Spouse/Partner : Select.

From there, go the record of the 'other half' of the marriage and click 'OK'.

That should set up the appropriate marriage link between the two of you. All other relationships should fall into place.

If, after that, you still your parents as his, then it looks as though there could be a problem with you imported gedcoms. That might require a separate post.

HTH

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 16 Sep 2015 16:22

Welcome to the FHUG.
(Unfortunately, I don't believe the method described by HTH will work, becasue there is no 'Add Fact/Marriage' option.)

First of all, I suggest that rather than import Gedcom you will get better results by using the Import TMG Project method described in Knowledge Base > Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG).

I assume you have two TMG Projects, so that process will create two FH Projects, but that is OK, the merging comes later.

It is important that you create FH Projects and not standalone Gedcom.
It is also important to Correct Problems as described in the Knowledge Base advice.

When you have two 'clean' FH Projects, then you can use the File > Merge/Compare File command to merge the Gedcom from one Project into the other Project as explained in Knowledge Base > Merge Compare Files, but note that what it refers to as the "new GEDCOM file" is actually the Gedcom file in one of your Projects.

Essentially, FH should automatically identify any duplicated data in the two Gedcom files. If there are no duplicates, then it will just create two trees with you and your husband as the roots. Then all you need to do is click on your Husband in the Focus Window and click the Add Wife/Partner link in the adjacent box, and choose Link Existing Record to select your own Individual record. You can then add Marriage Events, etc, to the Property Box.

If that all sounds gobble-de-gook, then perhaps you need to spend a little more time becoming familiar with FH before attempting such things. See Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers for topics to pursue.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 16 Sep 2015 18:49

From the original question I think perhaps husband and wife are both already in both Gedcoms, in which case the marriage link will already be there. What is puzzling is that the wrong parents have become linked to your husband. It is hard to see how that could happen in the merge. It might be worth checking both the imported projects before doing the merge, to make sure that your husband has the right parents in his project and you have the right parents your project.
Lorna

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 16 Sep 2015 20:49

I think mrsangry needs to confirm whether there are two Gedcom with one tree each, or one Gedcom with two trees, and exactly what merge commands have been tried.

mrsangry999
Gold

Post by mrsangry999 » 16 Sep 2015 21:42

Thank you all for helping. To be honest I'm totally confused with it. I uninstalled twice today to try to just have 2 separate trees. Each time there appeared to be two trees in front of me. (I can't tell you what I've do that could be undone. I've tried all sorts over the last couple of weeks.)

Then somehow it seemed that they had merged, I spent 2 hours clicking boxes to confirm the merge. When I couldn't stand any more I stopped. Now it says there are 900 people but also still over 1000 people or records not matched. Before getting the program I envisioned that I would just have to match both of us and that would be that. I can't work out why its so complicated. Somehow it was showing that we married each other twice on the same day.

Despite all of these people my husband still doesn't have his parents or ancestors showing when I make him the focus. My husband's id number has now changed to 756. :!: On our separate trees he was 1 or 4.

Both trees on TMG were accurate and clear. There is no conflicting information. The only link between the 2 Gedcom files was that we were both in them and so is our marriage details. If I had made any errors it would not show, so no conflict. My parents aren't on his file and my in-laws aren't on mine.

I think I'll just go back to having 2 separate trees. I've got lots of things still to add to them. I don't usually give up but I think I'll have to.

Any advice on a "Quick" way would be welcome. Thanks.

rfj1001
Famous

Post by rfj1001 » 17 Sep 2015 08:51

Ref your last post, you mentioned "the only link between the 2 Gedcom files was that we were /both/ in them and so is our marriage details."

The fact that you both appear in each could be what is confusing the merge.

Try deleting the spouse without the direct relatives from each gedcom before you do anything else.

mrsangry999
Gold

Post by mrsangry999 » 17 Sep 2015 08:59

Ok thanks I'll try that.

mrsangry999
Gold

Post by mrsangry999 » 17 Sep 2015 09:09

Just thought is there a way to tick all the records, people etc in the lists in one go? Perhaps a "select all" button somewhere?

Also if I delete the old Gedcoms & projects will that clear FH to start again?

Can I also stop the record matching/subscription offers? I have already bought the certificates, census returns etc.

Thanks again.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 17 Sep 2015 09:23

Unfortunately, you are only giving summary descriptions of what you have done, rather than explicit commands you have used, so the details below are guesswork, and if any are wrong please say so before doing anything.
  • Exported two Gedcom files from TMG with one tree in each file.
  • Opened your Gedcom in FH using File > Gedcom File Tasks > Open Gedcom File so that - Family Historian Gedcom - is shown in the top border of the main window.
    Alternatively, used File > Project Window > New Project > Import a GEDCOM file so that - Family Historian Project - is shown in the top border of the main window.
  • Used File > Merge/Compare File and selected your husband's Gedcom file.
  • In the Merge File window on the Individuals tab, it should show you and your husband's records as * Merge * Compatible or Null Merge and all the rest as simply Keep or * Add *, which means it will merge you and your husband's Individual records, but retain all others separately. If you are happy with that, you do NOT actually have to tick anything.
  • Now move on to the Families tab, where only your family record will be merged, and all the rest retained separately.
  • Step through all the other tabs for Notes, Multimedia, Sources, etc, but it is unlikely anything will need to be done.
  • Click the Merge button and accept the defaults. Do not worry about unchecked warnings. The checking feature is only needed for more complex merges.
After the Merge the Record Id for all your husband's tree records will have changed, because they must be unique to avoid conflicts with your tree records, and the Merge of you and your husband's records will adopt the Record Id originally in your tree.

That should produce the desired effect for you and your husband, with both your parents, and the rest of the ancestors from both trees.

Just turn off the function in Tools > Preferences > Internet Data Matching.

Yes, delete Projects using File > Project Window > More Tasks > Delete Project.
You do NOT need to uninstall/reinstall FH for basic tasks like that.

As I said before, you are trying to run before you can walk.
How long did it take for you to become familiar with using TMG.
Please allow that much time to learn about FH techniques.
See Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers.

mrsangry999
Gold

Post by mrsangry999 » 17 Sep 2015 09:36

Thank you for the instructions, I am very grateful.

The reason that I want to be sure everything is ok on FH is because 3 weeks ago bought a new computer. At present I have 2 desktops plus keyboards etc on the desk. It is making life very difficult (printer on the floor, visiting children are very interested) and I don't want to retire the old computer until I have the information safely on the new one. Once I am sure I have the right information I can rest easy.

Thank you.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 17 Sep 2015 10:08

If it would make things any easier, then install FH on the old desktop, and get it sorted out there.
Alternatively, migrate the TMG program and its Projects to the new computer.
Then you could use the FH Import TMG Project mentioned earlier, that does a much better job than Import Gedcom File.
See Knowledge Base > Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG).

Migrating FH from old to new desktop is a well trodden path, for which there are detailed instructions in the Knowledge Base, that have been successfully followed by many users.

mrsangry999
Gold

Post by mrsangry999 » 17 Sep 2015 10:24

My old TMG won't work on the new one and the old one will freeze up if I put anything more on it. It has a tiny memory and is full of digital scrapbooking files. I'm struggling with this new one and want to get all the fh information on it so I can go through other stuff and get rid of duplicated files.

I just went into FH but can't find out how to clear it and start again.

Thanks.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 17 Sep 2015 10:30

OK, I understand your complications, but you could simply copy the TMG Project files to the new desktop. TMG itself does not need to be installed.

By clear FH I guess you mean delete the Projects. (It would really help if you could be more precise!)

As I said below, use File > Project Window select the Project to be deleted, then use More Tasks > Delete Project.
Repeat if more than one Project.

mrsangry999
Gold

Post by mrsangry999 » 17 Sep 2015 11:09

It's worked! :D :D :D :D

I put in the new projects, then our marriage and it all seems ok. We've both got parents now. Unfortunately I've realised I've lots more stuff to go on.

I'll get to matching records etc later.

I'm so grateful for the help you've given me.

Bye for now. :lol:

NigelBrown
Diamond

Post by NigelBrown » 17 Sep 2015 11:52

I am so sorry to have come to this thread so late in the day (so many messages in so short a time!), and I guess mrsangry is not so angry any more. But for the possible benefit of others who may read all this later, a question to have clarified was whether she had 2 datasets (in one TMG project) or 2 TMG projects. Whichever is the case, it would have been better to have merged the 2 datasets or 2 projects in TMG first, that is, in the programme that she was most familiar with. Then check that all is well, before importing to FH.

I "played" with GEDCOM transfer to FH, just for curiosity's sake, and it was quite good, but the direct import method is so much better.

I hope this helps, belatedly.

Nigel Brown
Nigel Brown - https://vousden.one-name.net
Vousden One-Name Study - https://vousden.one-name.net

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 17 Sep 2015 12:10

Thanks for that Nigel.
Perhaps some extra advice in Knowledge Base > Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) about TMG data sets, projects, and merging would be the best way forward.
Plus how to copy TMG Projects for Direct Import to FH on another PC.
Is it simply a matter of copying the The Master Genealogist v9 folder in its entirety?

mrsangry999
Gold

Post by mrsangry999 » 17 Sep 2015 12:14

I don't know how to save the merged project so that it can open automatically when I start up FH.

When I go into the list of people and their relationship to me I see things like 10 x Gt Uncle. When I make my husband the focus person the same person doesn't show his relationship to my husband e.g. Wife's 10 x Gt Uncle. It still refers to me.

Thanks.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 17 Sep 2015 12:27

Use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Default Project or File > Project Window right-click project name and choose Default Project.

All relationships are by default with respect to the File Root person, who is shown highlighted in the Focus Window initially, and after clicking the Home icon top left. So presumably that is you!

To change the File Root person, right-click the desired person in the Focus Window and choose Make File Root.

There are other ways of showing relationships, but that is for another thread on another day!!!!

At the risk of becoming a cracked record, please work through Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers.

mrsangry999
Gold

Post by mrsangry999 » 17 Sep 2015 12:44

Thank you very much for all the help. I'm so pleased that all my precious information is on the new computer. I'll read the starter information as soon as possible.