* Legacy to F.H.

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
Wee Ann
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Legacy to F.H.

Post by Wee Ann » 19 Mar 2015 23:05

It was not as difficult as I thought it would be!
I opened Legacy and clicked on 'Import/Export' ! then I exported "Filename" to desktop.
I then opened F.H. and imported "Filename" !
It all went very smoothly. I had one or two bits of tidying up to do - Doubles needed sorting! My sister married my husband's brother, and our nephew married my niece, and I had to fiddle with them, but nothing I couldn't easily handle.
Maybe I'm not too old to learn!

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Legacy to F.H.

Post by tatewise » 19 Mar 2015 23:18

In Legacy when you chose Import/Export and got the GEDCOM Export page, what options did you choose please?
i.e.
Produce file for: ?
and all the tick options below.

Also did you use the Customize... button on the right?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Wee Ann
Gold

Post by Wee Ann » 21 Mar 2015 03:25

Hi! Me again!
When the page opened with Produce File for :- I put the name of my family file.
I then chose All Records in the Entire Family File.
There were several items ticked in the choices below, and I didn't alter them. I left the ones ticked, and didn't tick any others.
I then chose my Desktop as the destination, and just went on from there.
I hope I have explained it better now?
Regards
Ann

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 21 Mar 2015 10:22

Thank you Ann. It sounds like you accepted all the default options.
Reading between the lines, I suspect you didn't have a great deal of family data in Legacy, and it has all transferred to FH OK.

However, it may be worth checking that all the tiniest details have been transferred, because the default settings do exclude some things.

Could you also please run the FH command Tools > Find Uncategorised Data... with List Name: UDF and click Create List.
Does it say 0 records found..., or does it find some UDFs?

Wee Ann
Gold

Post by Wee Ann » 22 Mar 2015 02:40

I had a look, and it said (and I quote) '1672 records found containing one or more UDFs.'
It then told me where the Record List could be found, I checked and as far as I can tell, all the records are there, and seem to be complete.
I think I did it right!
Best regards
Ann

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 22 Mar 2015 11:55

OK, you need to review those 1672+ Unrecognised Data Fields (UDF) imported from Legacy.
When viewing your records the UDF are not usually displayed (because FH doesn't recognise them).

I had hoped there would be no UDF, but as there are over 1672, they must be resolved.
See Knowledge Base > Handling Unrecognised Data Fields for advice.
Your 'Boss' may have to help you with some of this.

In that KB advice its explains how to reveal the UDF in the Property Box and mentions the Tools command I advised you to use.

It also mentions an Exception Report. Do you recall getting anything like that?

The best way forward is to use the Unidentified Data Fields (UDF) List Plugin from the FH Plugin Store. Follow the link in the KB advice above, and Download & Open/Run to install the Plugin. Then use the FH command Tools > Plugins, select UDF List, and click Run. It will produce a Result Set detailing the 1672+ UDF and can be Run as many times as you need until they are resolved.

Once you are confident running the UDF List Plugin, have look at Knowledge Base > Import From Legacy ~ Once the Project is in Family Historian. Does anything look similar to your results?

Let us know what results you are getting and we can advise how to resolve them.

Wee Ann
Gold

Post by Wee Ann » 22 Mar 2015 22:43

Thank you so much for all your help, but it all fits nicely into the "Too Hard" basket, so I think I will just delete the lot and carry on with my Legacy tree. I haven't had any problems with that! I just thought that F.H. could help with my research, but as you say, it doesn't do that, and as I have not parted with any money up to now, I think it is time to say
Thank you and Farewell
Best wishes
Ann