* A Little Help Please with Legacy

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
Wee Ann
Gold
Family Historian: V6

A Little Help Please with Legacy

Post by Wee Ann » 14 Mar 2015 23:55

Yesterday I decided to give F.H. a try! I sat and entered most of the members of my family, and I still have to start on my husbands lot. I have all this already on my computer on 'Legacy'. Is there some way I could transfer the whole lot on to F.H. without sitting there and typing it all in? Considering that I have entered so much already of what is there?
Thanks in anticipation
Wee Ann

jimlad68
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: A Little Help Please with Legacy

Post by jimlad68 » 15 Mar 2015 00:05

This might help: Knowledge Base > Import from Legacy (How To)

but try this page too Knowledge Base > Importing to Family Historian

I have never used Legacy, so others might be able to offer other suggestions.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68

Wee Ann
Gold

Post by Wee Ann » 15 Mar 2015 00:40

Thanks for that Jimlad! I'll give them a try.
Ann

Wee Ann
Gold

Post by Wee Ann » 15 Mar 2015 00:50

I had a quick look at the suggested sites, and they are just so much gobbledygook to me!
Maybe I should just get my two typing fingers into gear, and go from there.
Thanks anyway for trying to help! It shouldn't take me too long ... maybe a week or two???
thanks again
Ann

Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider » 15 Mar 2015 07:57

Ann

It really isn't too difficult. It is worth giving it a try with just a vanilla export from Legacy and an import to Family Historian. Then just a quick data tidy up and it will save you a lot of work. Do this into a new project so you don't mess up the inputting that you have already done.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 15 Mar 2015 12:21

Ann, welcome to the FHUG, I have moved this posting to the Importing and Exporting Forum where you are more likely to get advice from Legacy users.

However, whichever route you decide to take I would strongly advise you spend some time getting familiar with Family Historian and also its free associated program Ancestral Sources that may reduce the amount of typing.
Too often, users say they wished they had known that FH or AS could do this or that before they entered all their data.

So have a look at Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers and work through all the advisory articles, which may lead on to further advice that interests you.

If anything is not clear then please ask, but do Post a new topic for each new subject.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry