* Migration from TMG to FH5

Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program. This is the place to ask.
Frank65
Family Historian: V5

Migration from TMG to FH5

Post by Frank65 » 22 Mar 2014 14:56

Hi,

I am thinking of moving from The Master Genealogist (v5 I think) to FH5.

How easy is it to move existing data across? I have a lot of data with source info etc. but no images.

Thanks

Frank

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Migration from TMG to FH5

Post by tatewise » 22 Mar 2014 15:36

Welcome to the FHUG Frank.

The thread Migrating to FH from TMG (5841) may help you, as it mentions a useful utility, and other fixes.

If you could report your progress, successes and difficulties, then we can create some Knowledge Base > Importing to Family Historian advice for TMG.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Frank65

Post by Frank65 » 22 Mar 2014 19:09

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link.

I checked this one but it seems to be mostly about migrating images which is the one thing I don't have. I was more wondering about experience of migrating the rest of the data. I have a lot of stuff on sources which I would want to retain if possible.

The utility looks useful though. Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe I download the trial version and, well, trial it.

Frank

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 22 Mar 2014 20:03

There are several other threads that suggest importing GEDCOM from TMG with extensive Sources works just fine.

But I do recommend using the Knowledge Base > TMG to FH Gedcom Converter to correct certain GEDCOM features before using the FH File > Project Window > New Project option.

See Knowledge Base > Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) for more details.

Frank65

Post by Frank65 » 25 Mar 2014 10:42

Well, I installed the trial version and exported the data from TMG. Mainly I used the default settings, in one or two cases I added extra fields to the export.

I then ran the convertor program as recommended and got a curious error message about field lengths which I ignored.

One thing puzzled me, it was not obvious (given that the only output was an error message) that the convertor had actually run, but it seemed it had.

Then I ran FH5 and imported the data. Again there were a few queries from the program but it all ran OK and as far as I can tell without checking every line it seems to have transferred the data correctly.

Thanks very much for you help. It turned out to be quite easy to transfer across! And I do like the look of the program, having played with it a bit.

Frank

kain49member

Post by kain49member » 27 Apr 2014 11:27

Hello all,
May I add to this thread. I recently imported from The Master Genealogist to Family Historian 5, and had a few error messages. (See my thread Gedcom errors (11173) in Importing and Exporting forum.).
The other thing I've found, although it could be my lack of understanding of FH5, is that the Census details transferred from TMG appear to be hit and miss as to where they are and what they are connected to.
Still trying to sort it out, before I commit myself to FH5 as I have over 25,000 persons on file.
Kain49member
researching the KAIN's and variants.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 27 Apr 2014 15:57

This discussion continues in the posting Census details import to Family Historian 5 from TMG (11176).