* FH-v5 AS-v4 WinXP Crossover & Wine Bottles

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gerrynuk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6

Re: FH-v5 AS-v4 WinXP Crossover & Wine Bottles

Post by gerrynuk »

As a follow-up to the discussion about installing FH and AS under Crossover/Wine I have been inputting Baptism and Marriage records via AS, using Mike's "Ancestral Sources Data Entry" plugin. The only issue is when the newly input record is Saved in AS, which then closes, and the focus returns to the FH window and the "Gedcom has changed outside FH" message appears. However, in most cases FH freezes at this point and must be closed using the Force Quit command. This is similar to the problems reported in the KB but relates to the 32-bit versions of both FH and AS.
If Ancestral Sources (32-bit) is running when another program such as Family Historian changes its GEDCOM file, then the usual "Gedcom has changed outside of AS popup message appears, but sometimes Ancestral Sources is then frozen and Force Quit must be used. (The reverse problem occurs if Ancestral Sources (64-bit) is installed.)
Have other users come across this problem and would it be appropriate to update the KB?
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by Valkrider »

Gerry

No I don't get this, just the issue as described in the KB.
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Just when I thought things were going OK! It isn't a serious problem; more an inconvenience as I need to quit and restart FH each time. Any idea what might be causing the problem?
Last edited by gerrynuk on 03 May 2014 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I wonder if it is a general but intermittent problem with Crossover, where if any two programs have the same file open, then when one changes the file the other may or may not handle the change correctly.

Could you both perform a little software forensics?

With both FH and AS open with the same GEDCOM file, then use first FH and then AS to change the file and see if the other handles the change.

Repeat this with another pair of programs, such as FH and Notepad (or some similar text editor), and AS and Notepad, and any others you can think of sharing the same GEDCOM file.

Repeat the experiments several times and record the results.

If it looks like a general Crossover problem then report the results to them.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Just conducted a very quick test using Notepad++. Changing the Gedcom in Notepad++ locks up AS and vice-versa. Changing the Gedcom in FH locks up AS and vice-versa, as reported above. And changing the Gedcom in Notepad++ locks up FH and vice-versa. I don't think these are consistent results but certainly AS, FH and Notepadd+ can lock the other program which has the same file open.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thanks Gerry, that is quite conclusive.
If Colin gets similar results, then that appears to be a Crossover bug that needs to be reported to them and hopefully soon fixed.
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

tatewise wrote:Thanks Gerry, that is quite conclusive.
If Colin gets similar results, then that appears to be a Crossover bug that needs to be reported to them and hopefully soon fixed.
It might, of course, just be the way my Bottle is constructed - possibly missing or superfluous applications.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't think it is your Bottle, because Colin gets the same problem, but perhaps in fewer scenarios or less frequently.
If it is some sort of race condition, then CPU performance may have an effect.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

I'm intrigued by the idea of the applications locking up. Are you sure that the message box that says 'File needs to be reloaded' (or whatever) isn't behind the main form and waiting for you to click on it? Can you Alt+Tab through the windows to see if there is a dialog you're not seeing?
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

NickWalker wrote:I'm intrigued by the idea of the applications locking up. Are you sure that the message box that says 'File needs to be reloaded' (or whatever) isn't behind the main form and waiting for you to click on it? Can you Alt+Tab through the windows to see if there is a dialog you're not seeing?
No, Nick. I see the message box and can click on the reload button but the program has frozen.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Ah I see. Once OK is clicked it then opens the file. Odd that this would lock up the program. It certainly suggests a crossover bug.
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Sorry, Nick, I meant that the whole program is frozen, including the message box, and clicking on reload has no effect. I then need to use Force Quit to close the program.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I have now had chance to do some digging with this.

This works without crashing:

Open FH, then choose project, then use the AS data plugin it opens AS. Input data and save. I have AS set to close after data save. Back to FH get the file changed warning and accept FH updates fine.

This crashes FH:

Open AS, select the project, switch windows and open FH and change to the same project. Switch back to AS and make a data entry and save. Switch to FH and the file changed dialog appears. Clicking on any of the dialog buttons does nothing. It is as though the dialog box has not got the focus but it can be dragged. As a result I don't believe that FH has crashed but for some reason the dialog box is not reacting the same way it does in scenario 1 above.

As a result it looks to be an odd set of circumstances that imho will need Calico Pie and Codeweavers to work together to resolve I suspect.
gerrynuk
Megastar

Post by gerrynuk »

Valkrider wrote:I have now had chance to do some digging with this.

This works without crashing:

Open FH, then choose project, then use the AS data plugin it opens AS. Input data and save. I have AS set to close after data save. Back to FH get the file changed warning and accept FH updates fine.
I have the same settings and this procedure works for the first 3 or 4 times and then FH locks up and the reload file message box no longer responds when the Yes (or No) buttons are clicked. I have no idea what this means or where the problem is. My workaround is to use only AS for inputting new records and only to use FH when I need to check something or input new people.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Colin, please repeat same tests as Gerry:-

With both FH and AS open with the same GEDCOM file, then use first FH and then AS to change the file and see if the other handles the change.

Repeat this with another pair of programs, such as FH and Notepad (or some similar text editor), and AS and Notepad, and any others you can think of sharing the same GEDCOM file.

Repeat the experiments several times and record the results.

If it looks like a general Crossover problem then report the results to them.