* Windows 8

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Margaret PG
Family Historian: V5

Windows 8

Post by Margaret PG »

Can youplease tell me how to move FH V5 from one laptop to another . I am trying to use an Iomega Hard drive . The new laptop uses windows8. I am unable to open FH V5 on the new laptop

Margaret PG
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Windows 8

Post by tatewise »

Margaret, welcome to the FHUG.
I have moved your posting to the General Usage Forum, because Importing and Exporting is for transferring data to/from other genealogy programs.

The topic you raise is well trodden path, with much advice available in the [kb]|[/kb].
See how_to:index#installation_guide|> Family Historian > Installation Guide.
In particular how_to:reinstall_family_historian|> How to (Re-)install Family Historian,
and also how_to:move_settings|> Move Family Historian Settings & Projects.

Essentially, you install FH V5 in Windows 8 in much the same way as on your old laptop.
You do NOT have to install any earlier FH versions.
But there are some special workarounds for some early releases of FH V5 for Windows 8.
The Knowledge Base advice gives full details so read it ALL.

You can usually use the Windows Easy Transfer program supplied by Microsoft to transfer not just your FH Projects but all your other files, documents, photos, etc from My Documents/Pictures/Music...

It would help to know what you have tried, what was your old laptop Windows version (XP,Vista,7), and why you mention the Iomega Hard drive (Is it an external drive?)
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Margaret PG
Family Historian: V5

Post by Margaret PG »

Thanks for this advice--will work through it tomorrow.
My old laptop's Windows version is Vista. The iomega hard drive is an external desktop hard drive
I copied FH V5 from the old laptop to the hard drive and then to the new laptop, but cannot open it.
The annoying thing is that my husband subsequently followed the same process and copied the programme to his Windows 8 laptop with no problems
Margaret PG
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I do not understand what you mean by "copied FH V5 from the old laptop to the hard drive".
It is NOT possible to copy programs like FH V5 from PC to PC.
They have to be installed from an installation CD or download file, just like you did originally on your Vista laptop.
I am sorry to disagree, but your husband cannot have used the same copy process.

In any case I would NOT advise installing FH V5 on an external hard drive.
You can keep your FH Project data on an external hard drive, but not the FH program itself.

Think of it like any other program you install such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc), Adobe Reader, Firefox, ...
They must install on the C: drive, but you can store your Word documents, PDF files, and FH Project data anywhere.
ruthhenrietta
Platinum

Post by ruthhenrietta »

Hi Mike - I want to reinstall FH on new PC. On old PC I have downloaded FH5 upgrade and still have registration key.

I didn't save the software download.

I can't work out from instructions in the knowledge base how to reinstall on new PC (Windows 8).

Is it possible to give me simple instructions?
ruthhenrietta
Platinum

Post by ruthhenrietta »

Ignore last question as Calico Pie have sent me relevant instructions and links... thanks to them for their response - excellent service... (I doubted that they'd be there on 31 December!)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Let Ruth's experience be warning to others.
You have paid cash for the software download, so do not lose it.
Back it up safely some where because it is valuable.
See the how_to:reinstall_family_historian#installation_archive|> Installation Archive for details.