* Records with no sources

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
aragorn
Famous
Family Historian: None

Records with no sources

Post by aragorn »

In my haste to add people to my tree I have often (very often!!)omitted to put in the source of my information.I now find I have many records with no sources.Is there a report or something that I can use to identify these records without going through the whole 1700 names individually.Alternatively could I find all records that have sources and by default all those not listed would be the records with no sources.[confused][frown][grin][tongue][rolleyes]

ID:775
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Records with no sources

Post by Jane »

Problably a good way to start is with a query showing the first source for the main life events.

I have done a quick query, which list all persons in the tree with the 'core Event Dates' and source for the event and the first record source.

http://www.fhug.org.uk/images/uploads/Core_Sources.fhq

I have not excluded any one, but with all the information it should be easy to spot the ones with no source information. Don't forget you can use the property dialogue from the Query Results window combined with source copy and paste to 'source up' all those people who sneaked in with out sources.
David33
Gold

Records with no sources

Post by David33 »

I am finding this tremendously useful.  Many thanks to the user for raising this and to Jane for providing the query.  However, it has thrown up a oddity for me.  It brings up a source for a baptism which I thought was the correct one, but which I later discovered was not, and have unlinked the source from the individual's record (although the source is still in the file).  If I click on the record in the query results, the link is not there.  If I click on the 'incorrect' source in the query results, it does bring up that source.

The obvious worry is that there may be other 'unlinked' sources showing up elsewhere in the query results.  What could be happening here, and how should I investigate it?  
David33
Gold

Records with no sources

Post by David33 »

Having just posted the message above, I was browsing elsewhere in the forum when I came across something that prompted me to look at the Record list.  Sure enough, although the source does not show up in the Property Dialog, if I expand this individual's icon in the Record List window, and then then the Baptism, the 'incorrect' source is there.

Does this mean that unlinking in the Property Dialog is not enough, and that you (also?) have to delete the Inidviduals Record window?
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Records with no sources

Post by Jane »

I suspect you may have deleted the link, but not the citation. If you re-view the data in the All tab it is often clearer what the exact state of play is.
David33
Gold

Records with no sources

Post by David33 »

Thanks.  That's exactly what the situation was.  Not sure, however, how I managed to achieve this situation, as I thought I always clicked on the 'Delete citation' button to unlink from the source.  Have tested a dummy, and see that clicking on 'Delete citation' does indeed remove the citation as seen in the All tab window.  So I can't imagine what I did in this instance.  Hope there aren't too many more!  
ireneblackburn
Superstar
Family Historian: V6

Records with no sources

Post by ireneblackburn »

I used the custom query and found that while birth sources are there, Record Source is usually missing. What have I done wrong and how do I put them in?
nsw

Records with no sources

Post by nsw »

The birth source is the source of the information regarding the birth. The record source is the source of the information about the person themself rather than one of their life events. This is a little confusing really as generally it is the events that tell you about the person, and so recoding the sources for each of the events should be enough. I think it is probably fairly standard practice for the record source to be blank. If the record source is filled in for some people it probably means you had the auto source citation turned on when you created the individual's record.
ireneblackburn
Superstar
Family Historian: V6

Records with no sources

Post by ireneblackburn »

Thanks Nick, I thought I had something drastically wrong.
TimM
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Records with no sources

Post by TimM »

If the differences between ‘birth source’ and ‘record source’ are a little confusing, I find the individual’s ‘record source’ vs. ‘name source’ very confusing.
Neither of them seems to be life events, so when/how and for what are they usually used for (or can be used for)?
nsw

Records with no sources

Post by nsw »

I guess the individual's record source is useful where the only thing you know about someone is that they existed. e.g. your gran told you that an uncle had a child but you know nothing about the child. You could add them as a child of your uncle but with no name or other details and record that the source was your Gran. Then perhaps someone else might tell you that they thought their name was Ellen so you might then change their name to Ellen and set the source to be the person who told you the name.

So to summarise:

Name source: What is the source of the information that tells you what their name was.
Individual source: What was the source of the information that told you that they existed.

At least that's how I would interpret them (not that I've ever used them).