* GEDCOM export with abbreviated date

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
waltons
Gold
Family Historian: V6

GEDCOM export with abbreviated date

Post by waltons »

Hello,
I would like to export a gedcom file with the date in the abbreviated 4 format ie. the year only for all dates.

Is this possible please?

Thanks...Phil

ID:6686
waltons
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by waltons »

I am replying to my own question.

It is actually easy with the Res Privata file.
It must be easy - I have done it!

Sorry if I have troubled anyone.

Phil
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

I am not aware of any facility in FH or its Plugins to reduce ALL the Date fields to just the Year.

However, a Plugin to do that would be easy to write, once you understand LUA.

The Utility ~ Res Privata does offer the ability to reduce many Date fields to just the Year.

However, it does NOT work for ALL Dates.

It does convert Dates for Birth, Christening, Baptism, Bar/Baz Mitzvah, Blessing, Adoption, Marriage, Engagement, Annulment, Divorce, Death, Cremation, and Burial.

But for example Census, Education, Occupation, Residence, Will, Probate, and many others are NOT converted.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

I've just added the following Work-in-Progress Plugin: My Clean Living People V1.2.
[ EDIT: That Plugin is deleted as it is replaced by Clean Living Persons and Trim Date and Text Fields in Plugin Store. ]

This is a modification of Jane's existing Plugin from the Store: Clean Living People.

There are additional options to convert all Fact dates for Living People, and all Media dates, to just the Year (i.e. “remove MMDD”).

Obviously this Plugin must only be used on a copy of the GEDCOM file.  The Plugin has some limitations: there may need to be a separate option to remove all Sources for a living person, not just those linked to Facts, but linked to e.g. Note, Name, Whole-record, etc.  

There is also a real (I think) 'gotcha' in this area if someone no longer living has a dated 'Marriage Witness' Fact related to the marriage of a living person.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Peter I was thinking about the Witness problem. What about adding a private note, which could be checked for against the event including the family id (or both Indivdual ids) for the marriage, that way the plugin could be extended to check for those as a second pass process.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Jane, yes that could probably be made to work, and would be greatly facilitated if Nick could further improve Ancestral Sources so that the relevant IDs are added automatically.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I can think of a number of scenarios where Custom Facts are directly related to another Individual or Family.
It would be useful if Ancestral Sources and all Plugins that needed this relationship used the same methodology.

May I suggest that the Record Type and Record Id are stored in a Source Note linked to the Fact e.g. Individual:123 or Family:321.
Source Notes are rarely used, do not usually appear in Diagrams or Reports, but are very visible in the Sources Pane attached to the Property Box.

To add a Source Note use All tab, right-click on any Fact and choose Add Source > Add Source Note to this Record.
See how the Source Note appears in the Sources Pane but cannot be accidentally edited.

Note that multiple instances of Source Notes can be added so that for a family relationship a separate Source Note could be added for both the Individual Record Id and the Family Record Id