* V5 removed all image links pre-1911!

Homeless Posts from the old forum system
stbaldock
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

V5 removed all image links pre-1911!

Post by stbaldock »

Hi
I have just noticed that my v5(.05) no longer has the multimedia links to any census pre-1911! The census flags are fine, and the data too. But there are no longer any pics of the censuses!
I don't think it's an Ancestral Sources v3 issue, since I used it quite a while before u/g to FH v5.
A quick check of the GEDCOM indicates the file paths are there and correct, yet the multimedia links (and therefore access to the images via FH) are not.

HELP!

ID:6382
nsw

Post by nsw »

When you look at the image in Family Historian is it showing a square with a cross?
stbaldock
Platinum

Post by stbaldock »

Just updated to v5.06 (which I saw available from another post) and the problem's still there.
stbaldock
Platinum

Post by stbaldock »

Nick
The point is, NOTHING shows in the multimedia box for the census entry source for any entry other than 1911.
I add again, they used to be there, showing as a multimedia file against the census source. However, since v5 (I think - only discovered this yesterday!!) the multimedia references are not showing for anything other than 1911 entries.

Weird?!
stbaldock
Platinum

Post by stbaldock »

Oh, bother!

It actually looks, having checked again, that the file paths are no longer in the GEDCOM - is this an error with AS saving.

Does this mean I'm going to have to relink ALL pictures??!!
stbaldock
Platinum

Post by stbaldock »

The @OBJ...@ lines have disappeared against the sources !!!
nsw

Post by nsw »

I can't imagine how AS could possibly have gone through your file stripping out all references to pre-1911 census images, unless it has somehow developed artificial intelligence, turned evil and re-programmed itself.

In the records window, under the multimedia tab, can you find a multimedia record for a pre-1911 census, click on it and then under the view menu look at record links and see what it is linked to?

Nick
stbaldock
Platinum

Post by stbaldock »

OK. Clarification.
It now appears there are some pre-1911 census sources with multimedia records, but MANY without them now. I am rigorous in attaching census images (especially as GEDCOM Census and Ancestral Sources both reminded us!). Most @O...@ references and definitions have just plain disappeared! eg. my definitions start (obviously) at @O1@ but then jump to @O207@ !!

Anyone any idea when/where FH or AS may have removed multimedia links?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To help examine the problem, please enable all Records Window tabs as follows.
Use Tools > Preferences > Records Window tab and set all Record Type Display Options to Always show and click OK.

Then open the Records Window and select the Multimedia tab.
I am sure know you can sort the rows by clicking on any Column heading such as Multimedia Records for Title order, or Record Id for Id order, etc.
Check out the Links Column.

What do you see?
Are there Multimedia Records missing?
Are there Multimedia Records but their Links are 0?

If all else fails, then presumably you can revert your GEDCOM to a recent backup?
nsw

Post by nsw »

I can certainly imagine potential errors being present in AS that might cause a block of media objects to disappear - I've not had an issue like this with multimedia reported but of course it could happen. However, the sources would still have links to the objects so either FH or AS would complain about these missing links next time you open the file and that would alert you to a problem straight away. If you open your file in AS does it report any errors?

Nick
stbaldock
Platinum

Post by stbaldock »

Done.
Sorted by Record ID. IDs 2 to 206 are missing; they run 1, then 207 through to 909.

I have an old backup with appears to have a GEDCOM which contains Object IDs 2 to 206. Is it safe to copy & paste these sections into my current GEDCOM? I guess I'd still have to compare the two files & inserts the object links back into the Source sections?
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Make a copy of Both Files, then try to Merge the two files. FH should find the common areas by itself, but you will need to allow plenty of time to check the matches (and mismatches).
[edit]
Have you checked, using windows explorer, that the 'missing' images are actually saved in the locations they are supposed to be in?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John is absolutely correct.

Use File > Backup/Restore > Medium Backup to preserve your current Project.

Use File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup to recover your Backup to a different folder (assuming it was a Family Historian created backup).
Otherwise, simply restore your Backup as usual, but to a different folder.

Use File > Merge/Compare File and take care to work through all seven tabs for each Record type.
This process should not only retrieve all the old Multimedia Records, but also the Source Record links, and retain all your existing data.
However, read the Help, and allow plenty of time for the task, because it must be completed in one session.
stbaldock
Platinum

Post by stbaldock »

Thanks for the help, guys.
Think I've successfully managed a merge & compare now.
Multimedia data appears to be back...

Will keep my eye on things.

Cheers.