* Scottish Records

Got general Family History research questions - this is the place
AndyC
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Scottish Records

Post by AndyC »

How do users identify the BMD records from the Scotland's People Website. They are not actual BMD certiificates but they are more than just the GRO index from the England and Wales record?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Scottish Records

Post by tatewise »

Are you talking about the Statutory register of births described here:
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guid ... ter-births
Ancestral Sources seems to have an AutoText template for exactly those details but calls it a Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth.

Similarly for Statutory register of marriages and Statutory register of deaths.
All three templates start with SR for Statutory Register and end with (Scotland).

So, they can be captured just like an England & Wales BMD Certificate.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Sorry to disagree, but a "Certified copy of an entry of birth" is just another name for a birth certificate, in England and Wales. (That's what it says at the top of the certificate). Certificates obtained for Scottish births are headed "Extract of an Entry in a Register of Births" and are impressed with the seal of the Scottish GRO.

What AndyC is talking about are images of a page from the Scottish Statutory Births Register, on which there are typically three births per page. These are just black and white images and are not certificates. (They are similar to the uncertified images which can now be obtained for some births and deaths from the England and Wales GRO site, except that those contain only one entry each).

They contain the same information as certificates and can be entered the same way, either manually or using Ancestral Sources, but if you make use of Source types to classify your sources you should not class them as certificates. I use a Source type of "Birth statutory record (Scotland)".

BTW Mike: in AS I don't have an autotext template called "Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth". Is it one you have created yourself? From the name I assume it is for England and Wales certificates.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In AS the three AutoText Templates are named:
SR Birth Certificate 1856- (Scotland)
SR Marriage Certificate 1855- (Scotland)
SR Death Certificate 1856- (Scotland)

I maybe rashly assumed SR stood for Statutory Register.
All the words & details in those templates match exactly the Statutory Register details listed online in the https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/
Only the Birth template text starts with Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth. The others just start with a Ref No.

However, the key point is the advice that they can be captured using AS in the same way as a Certificate.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Understood. It appeared that you meant the autotext template was called "Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth". In fact those words should not appear in the Scottish template at all, because they appear only on England and Wales certificates.

The names "SR Birth Certificate 1856- (Scotland)" etc. are indeed odd, because there is a difference between a Scottish certificate and an image of a page from the Statutory Register, just as there is a difference between an English certificate and an uncertified image obtained from the English GRO. The difference is a legal one as well as a visual one, which is why I use a different Source type for images from the Statutory Register. But in all other respects the data can be entered in the same way.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry for the confusion.
I believe those templates are installed with AS and perhaps Nick Walker needs to be advised about adjusting them to better match the Scottish documents.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

These are the descriptions at the top of 3 original Scottish Birth Certificates dated 1876, 1962 & 1995. Hope this helps.

BC 1876.jpg
BC 1876.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 7380 times
BC 1962.jpg
BC 1962.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 7380 times
BC 1995.jpg
BC 1995.jpg (95.81 KiB) Viewed 7380 times
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

And the third example is also what you get if you order a new certificate now for a birth which occurred any time from 1856 onwards. (The 1855 header also includes the year, because 1855 certificates had a different format).
Lorna
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

I don't use AS for all sorts of reasons so have to set the stuff up manually. But just to add what might be obvious - one crucial (to me) point is that the author on a Source Record for these documents is set to General Register Office for Scotland and that provides the primary differentiation for me from English & Welsh documents.
Adrian
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

Adrian

Remember GROS is now merged and called NRS (National Records Of Scotland)
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Re NRS - err, yes, I knew that but had never thought about it in that context! :?

The question is - do we give the Author the current name, or the one applicable at the time? I'm inclined to use the contemporary name (i.e. GROS), like we (normally) use contemporary place-names. The fact that it would mean less work for me is pure coincidence! ;)
Adrian